We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code

scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code

Four more sleeps then of to NO for 10 nights wwwoooo.Here in sunny Scotland average temp 14 degrees,and when I go on holiday I like to just wear shorts,sneakers t shirt and sandals and don't really like dressing to smart ,at most dress shorts and a nice shirt will this be ok or do you think I should take dress trousers(pants).

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code

New Orleans is definitely a casual place, for the most part. It will be very hot and steamy so shorts & tees are the thing. However, some of the nicer

restaurants may require a dressier attire. If no plans for those, you will be fine

in shorts everywhere.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code

Another point to offer is that great food is available just about everywhere without having to go to upscale restaurants. You will be fine with shorts and tees and sneakers. There might even be times when you think you are over-dressed like that. You can safely leave the dress pants at home; if you are there and feel the need for something dressier, there are stores that sell clothing in New Orleans.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code

take one pair of long pants...that can't take up too much...as in the evening if you want to splurge at Antoines or Arnauds or the Pelican Club or Commanders (no shorts, blue jeans, or flipflops at commanders) but especially give Muriel's a try...right at Jackson Square ...great contemporary creole food at reasonable prices.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code

Goodness. Here in New Orleans we can only wish it was 14°. In fehrenheight or celcius.

This time of year begs for shorts and a tshirt with sandals. It is currently 87° outside, add in the intense humidity and it's 92° and we haven't even hit noon yet. By 3 or 4 pm, you will be looking at around 100° (feherenheight of course). In celcius, assume it's around 30°.

Feel free to wear clothes for the weather. Just keep in mind that a place like Arnaud's will probably have a dress code requiring something along the lines of business casual (pants and a blouse type of clothing).

Edited: 14 June 2012, 17:20
scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code

Thanks to all who replied,if I do feel like getting dressed up think i will just buy a long pair of trousers,but when you wear long trousers big thick coats,gloves,scarves and hats for nine months of the year it's good to just go around in shorts and sandals whenever I can.thanks again for info.96hours to go.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
535 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code

Have a ball & go with the flow. If you need anything, my motto, buy it there. Safe journey!

scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code

Thanks 6380 will try.48hours to go.wwooohhooo.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code

Please consider taking one pair of lightweight long pants or Capris. I really wouldn't want to HAVE to clothes shop on vacation.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code

my motto is the same as 6380's...if you need it, buy it there!

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code

I think you'd be better off taking at least one nice outfit to wear, my wife and I have just spent a week in New Orleans and of those seven days we ate out at Muriel's, GW Fins and Commanders Palace all of which require fairly formal attire, whilst you may not want to eat out formally that often, you might fancy a night off from fast food or bar food and treat yourself.