We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Looking for some sage advice from some well-traveled folks:

We are headed to NOLA for our first visit in Mid-July; have a room reserved at the PDA.

Noticed so many people love to have drinks in the courtyard @ the PDA. My husband and I sure enjoy having a chilled glass of white wine in the afternoons, so here are my questions:

1. What's the best place close to the PDA to buy wine/beer/liquor?

2. How do you keep it cold? Seems like there won't be any mini-fridges in these sweet historical rooms. I'm thinking the ice bucket, but maybe a PDA veteran has a better idea?

3. What do ya'll do about glassware? I'm thinking that packing wineglasses in my luggage would be a bad idea. I know they make "camping" wineglasses that are plastic and break down, but we sure like to drink out of real glass if we can.

Thanks for your advice! I've been pouring over the forum getting ideas for our trip, and I thank you all for sharing your wisdom.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Amy--The best way to keep stuff cool is to buy a cooler at Walgreens. They're cheap styrofoam and it works really well. I know because we have done it!

There is a liquor store on Decatur which is not far from your hotel. They also have a nice wine section at CVS Pharmacy on Decatur (believe it or not). AT least they had it last time we were there in May.

For glasses we always use the little bathroom glasses they give you at the hotel. It's not a real wine glass but it is glass. You could always buy a couple of cheap wine glasses at one of the stores down there too.

Hope that helps a little bit! Have a great time!

Edited: 23 June 2012, 22:27
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Rouse's on Royal St also has a wine selection. As for glasses, I'm like you, just hate drinking wine out of plastic. As Deny said, the glass glasses that hotels usually leave you will do just fine.

As for a wine bucket, here's a tip if you didn't think of it. Use one of the smaller garbarge cans from the room, fill her up with ice and voila!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

I second Deny and Porelly. Get your wine at Rouse's along with a cheap ice chest. I can drink wine out of a plastic cup but that's not advisable. Pick up a couple of glasses at a wine store. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Rouse's Market @ 701 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 523 - 1353.

http://shop.rouses.com/

AR
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

There is a liquor store on the corner of Dauphine/St. Peter (Joe's) that has a nice wine selection (about 5 blocks from your hotel) and several of the shops on Royal will have wine glasses....

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Sidney's Wine Cellar 917 Decatur has a good wine selection.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Joes would be the closest for selection as skt indicated, rouses is closer but not as much of a selection...the bathroom glasses work fine for us and as was suggested...a cheapie styrofoam cooler and just change out the ice...as they have an ice machine in a small hallway to the right as you head towards the rooms after registration.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Don't dismiss Rouse's til you look. While they don't have a huge selection they carry a good variety and some nice choices. They carry several of my favorites.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

There's also Sidney's Wine at 917 Decatur (between Crawdaddy and Central Grocery) an extra block or so, but hundreds of selections!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

Vieux Carre' Wine & Spirits on Chartres or Rouse's for us. In a pinch, fill up the ice bucket or even the bathroom sink with ice. Chill, serve. At a hotel w/a restaurant we request wine glasses sent up to the room. Can't recall if PDA has them or not. They do have glass glasses, though and they do for us in a pinch.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
462 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine questions re: Place de' Armes...

DON'T do this, but you could just accidentally walk out of a place with your glasses. I almost hardly ever do this. And almost never on purpose.