We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mr. B's or August

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mr. B's or August

May I get a little feedback on where we should eat next Saturday night?

Thanks in advance!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mr. B's or August

They are somewhat different--you might check out the menus. Mr B's serves updated tradtional creole food, very nice, classic New Orleans dishes. August is modern cuisine with New Orleans influence, and lots of locally sourced ingredients.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mr. B's or August

If you have a lunch opening, I would choose Mr. B's for lunch and August for dinner.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mr. B's or August

Thank you. Why do you say that?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
192 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mr. B's or August

I think soulcat has a great idea. As tamara says they are completely different. This way you could get the best of both worlds. If you appreciate and enjoy fine dining with an innovative menu, August is a great choice. If you want classic new orleans cuisine, then Mr. B's. However, if the latter is what you are looking for, I personally would choose Galatoires. Enjoy!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mr. B's or August

I just didn't find the food at Galatoire's that outstanding, especially for the price. I realize there's the Friday experience to consider, but the food has to be the big seller for me to return to a restaurant.

Mr. B's for lunch because you can get some of the same items on the lunch and dinner menu, but for less $$ at lunch. I had lunch there in May and the service and food were both fabulous.

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mr. B's or August

from a rookies standpoint,and one who seldom enjoys finer dining i can only speak of mr bs.

we went for dinner. from the outside it looks very plain,inside its top shelf .

wait staff really on the ball,thought the mgr seemed somewhat rude to the young girl taking reservations but the staff was great.

they are known for a bbq shrimp dish, wife who normally wouldent order shrimp just had to try it.

the shrimp are not peekled so you need to just jump right in as a refined gentleman near us told my wife. she is not one for eating with her hands but did so on this dish, they ceremoniosly put a bib on her,but not in a tacky way. took he awhile to get the hang of peelingthe shrimp and it wasent until she was almost finished that she realized she should have dipped it into the sauce more.

I had a pork chop, served with jasmine rice, sauce reduction was the best i ever had.

if choosing mr bs. honestly do yourself a favor and ordert the duck springroll............ if i had to do it over again,i might have ordered that appetiser 10 times .

we went for dinner, since we had been drinking all day and were feeling the need to hydrate we skipped cocktails, my wife told server it was my bday and he tossed in at no charge a lava cupcake with ice cream we shared it.was plenty. out bill befor tip, for 2 entrees and an app was to our shock only $68. I wrote a hurried review of it on trip adviser but was poorly written. but thsi was our dining highlight of our trip.

off topic but I havent yet written a tr about our trip yet because i came home to a few bombshells of half drama in regards to son,plus had to help him move which we already knew about. so i honestly have not had time to put my thoughts together.

whatever place you select i can say mr bs should not disapoint you.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mr. B's or August

I would go to Mr. B's for lunch but dinner is outstanding as well. We like to walk around and visit the shops and bars in the daytime so a short lunch suits us best and Mr. B's has a great lunch special for $20.00 I think. August is outstanding as well. Go for dinner. Enjoy your trip.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mr. B's or August

August also has a lunch special @$20. Both restaurants are excellent though I often find Mr. B's to be noisier than I like.

Florida
Level Contributor
629 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mr. B's or August

I have to agree with Soulcat on this one. We did just that last year. Went to Mr. B's for lunch one day and then went to August the next night. Mr. B's has a brasserie atmosphere where August at night is dim lights and a more refined. Don't try to do both in the same day though, we were so full after lunch at Mr. B's we didn't need anything else the remainder of the day.

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
46 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mr. B's or August

I've tried both places several times--August is clearly the better restaurant, but it is more formal and costs a bit more.