We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

We'll be going to an event at the Degas House at 7 in the evening. I was thinking it would be nice to check out the art museum and things in the City Park area beforehand (via the streetcar) and walk to the Degas House from there. Is this a good idea? Is doesn't look to be too far of a walk.

The event is over at 10. Is the streetcar still a reliable method back to the quarter at this time or is another route a better option?

Thanks everyone!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

I would walk there in the day time but not at night. Take the streetcar back to the FQ early at night will be fine. Go to Degas House in day time. Enjoy your trip.

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Thanks axle. Unfortunately, the event time is out of my control. Is ten too late to catch the streetcar? And there's a bit of a walk from the Degas House to the street car - do you think it's safe at this time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

You shouldn't walk in the neighborhood around Degas House after dark if you aren't familiar with the area. Take a taxi. The Canal Streetcar pickup is way up at City Park, which is about a mile from Degas House.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

The walk from the New Orleans Museum of Art to Degas House is 1.4 miles (thanks Google Maps), not a bad walk in the daylight during good weather, but not so great for the unfamiliar after dark. The distance from Degas House to Jackson Square is 1.5 miles (thanks again Google Maps). A cab ride for 1 or 2 from Degas House to the French Quarter will take less than 5 minutes and will cost about $8-10 plus tip; walking (not advisable after dark) would take about a half hour; taking the streetcar, including the walk (once again not advisble after dark), would take well over an hour. You can probably find someone at the event to share a cab with you (cutting the already low cost).

Edited: 12 July 2012, 21:24
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

I *have* walked that distance (from City Park to Liuzza's btt, which is very close to Degas House), it's a nice area to walk through. I'd do what just about everyone else suggested: walk there and then take a cab back. There's also the Esplanade bus, but I doubt it still runs after 10 and cabs are cheap in New Orleans. :)

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

I'm assuming that you are going soon. Don't forget about the heat factor as well as afternoon thunderstorms. You would melt before your event at 7 p.m. Take a cab; stay cool and safe.

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Thanks guys!

I really dislike taking a cab unless absolutely necessary - we had a terrible experience waiting nearly two hours for a cab on our last visit - and would prefer to at least have a "back up" plan should a cab decide to not show up. Wandering unsafe streets is out of the question, though, so unless there's a large group going from the event our direction - taxi it is!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Line up United Cab in advance earlier that day. We've always had good luck.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Put the number for United Taxi in your cell phone. They are the most reliable.

504-522-9771

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to/from Degas House from the FQ?

Thanks again! I don't know who we called last time - probably not United! But it was a disaster.