We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
Level Contributor
479 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Day 1 we flew from New Zealand to New Orleans which took all in all about 24 hours, with not a lot of sleep on the plane. We were so excited to be there that nobody felt all that tired so after checking in to our hotel (Country Inn & Suites - this turned out to be an excellent location for us) we set off on foot to have our first glimpse of the Quarter - and loved it. After about an hour the kids were feeling hungry so we found Daisy Dukes and ate there. The food we thought was pretty mediocre, apart from my daughter's Vege po-boy which she said was yummy, but the atmosphere was lively.

Day 2 Had to wake ourselves up with the alarm this morning or we would have slept a good couple of hours more. This morning we ventured further into the Quarter and visited Jackson Square and the french markets. My 8 year old insisted that I buy her a fan from the market - a black and red lacy thing that looked like it was a prop from a brothel circa 1800's!! Visited Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets - delicious. I couldn't believe how much powdered sugar they managed to balance on those things. After returning to the hotel nobody felt much like resting so we walked up to the World War 2 museum - an easy walk from the hotel. This was so well done and very popular with my husband. The 15 year old even found it quite interesting, the 12 year old enjoyed parts of it but the 8 year old kept herself occupied waving her fan and swinging her mardi gras beads. Had soda and icecream in the soda shop afterwards. Drove around for a bit and had a look at some cemetery's but the kids thought they looked too "creepy" to go in. Tonight we ate at El Gato Negro which we all enjoyed, nice food and reasonably priced. Walked back to the hotel via Bourbon St which even on a Monday was busy. We all agreed we liked the quieter streets better.

Day 3 Raining this morning so we flagged the idea of walking to Mardi Gras world and took the free shuttle instead. We all really enjoyed this and I would recommend it whether you have kids or not. Those floats just blew me away. Caught the streetcar back to the french markets and had another wander. Then lunch at a place that had a lot of lights - is it Commerce? - would love if anyone could help me remember the name and then while my husband and two younger children went back to the hotel my older daughter and I stayed to just meander round the streets for a couple of hours. Tonight we got the kids pizza from Papa's Pizza - very nice pizza to eat in the hotel and my husband and I went to Crescent St Brewery where we sat outside and had really delicious food - I had the crab cake on a fried green tomato and it was to die for.

Day 4 Goodbye to New Orleans. Up early and out of the hotel by around 8am to get to Honey Island swamp where we did a tour with Cajun Encounters. This was just fantastic and we saw gators big and small, turtles, wild pigs, herons, a snake and a squirrel (OK, that's unique for us!). Well run tour and they seemed to deal with quite a large number of guests easily. This was a highlight for the kids. Back in the car and then off on our road trip to Alabama.

We had a great time and I think I did almost all the things I wanted to, while accommodating the rest of the family as well. I really hope I get to come back some day, maybe for Mardi Gras one year!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

So glad yall had fun! I love to read reports about folks bringing their kiddos-my folks brought us to New Orleans as kids and we just loves it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed New Orleans. It really is an amazing place! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Thanks for your great TR. I'm happy you had fun. NOLA was a long trip for you. Come back again soon. Good luck.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Great report ! I have read many reports lately that only explain what they

Ate and Drank!

So happy that you actually 'did things'. Thanks!

Would like to know how and where you plan to go for the rest of your holiday in the US. We have not explored much of the US and would like to learn the interesting places to go.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

You managed to get a lot done in a short trip, especially after a 24hr flight!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

sounds like a great family vacation! So glad to hear everyone had fun. Give us a few more hints about the restaurant (like location!) coz it isn't ringing any bell!

NZ
Level Contributor
479 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

HI hermican, It was on Bourbon St, was a diner style place and had a LOT of lights on the ceiling! :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Was it Desire? It has a checkerboard tile floor and lots of lights!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

Oh yay.....I found out you did do more trip reports :)

Sounds like a lovely time here...even after that ghastly flight we Aussies & Kiwis have to face :( I am glad you & your husband got to dine child-free one night....awesome!!!!!!

AJ

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review - Awesome time. This could be longish!!

I don't see how you guys do flights like that!! I start to go nuts after about 4 hours!

Glad you had a good time and that you enjoyed Country Inn & Suites. We're going to NOLA next month and a few people from our group are staying there so I'm happy when I can tell them that someone liked it. You've definitely inspired me to check out Mardi Gras World at some point, sounds fantastic! Hope you guys give a cemetery a try next visit...I guess they're a bit creepy but they're FULL of history, like Homer Plessy, Benjamin Latrobe and Marie Laveau, although Marie brings it back to creepy :)