We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nola

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
nola

what is nola ?

we are planning a holiday to new Orleans.

we are 4 ladies from scotland and want all the info we can get to make the best choices for our trip .

all information will be very welcome .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nola

NOLA is "New Orleans Louisiana" shorthand, or a restaurant in the French Quarter operated by celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse. You'll find "nola" everywhere, including the newspaper's website nola.com

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nola

I suggest you start reading past trip reports from other travellers. You will find a wealth of information just from those.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
17 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nola

I just posted the following recommendations to someone coming from Australia. Hope you find these helpful!

1) Take a free ride on the Canal Street Ferry. You have two choices, one goes to Algiers, the other to Gretna. I would choose Algiers first. From the ferry you'll get the best photo ops of the city. Once on the "Westbank" you can get off the ferry and walk around the area. You'll see lovely old homes, mostly from the late 1800's, a quiet neighborhood. Find Pelican Street, a block or two away from the ferry, it's very nice.

2) If you are interested in a walking tour, there is an inexpensive but very educational, apx. two hour walking tour from the 1850 House. The 1850 House is located in the middle of the Lower Pontalba Building, which is adjacent to Jackson Square, right in front of the St. Louis Cathedral. You should be able to find the times and the price online by looking up 1850 House. The tour also includes access to the historic home. Please read about the Pontalba Buildings, very interesting story.

3) If you like museums, in the French Quarter on Royal St. you'll find the Historic New Orleans Collection. It is free and houses many artifacts and loads of information about what else? the history of New Orleans. You would also have the opportunity to tour the Williams' Home, which is part of the museum. It is just as the family left it, and lovely.

Not in the French Quarter, but not very far off would be the National World War II Museum, the New Orleans Museum of Art and, for something different, a private estate converted to a museum, Longue Vue House and Gardens. You will need a taxi for the last two.

4) Be sure to visit Cafe du Monde for Beignets and cafe au lait, half coffee with chicory and half scalded milk. Our coffee is strong, but it is so New Orleans.

5) If interested in afternoon tea, The Windsor Court Hotel serves tea in Le Salon at 2:00 and 4:00 Thurs-Sat. maybe Sunday? It is very relaxing and elegant. The Hotel is located on Tchoupitoulas St. between Canal St. and Poydras St. Easy walk from the French Quarter. I always ask for a table, not sofa, and Lisa as my waitress. She's a doll!

6) Oh what the heck, I guess I have to recommend Pat O'Brien's! It's a New Orleans institution. You must go and sit on the patio or in the piano bar and have a cocktail, maybe even a Hurricane.

7) For Jazz Brunch, I recommend either or both, the Court of Two Sisters on Royal St.. and/or The Rib Room at the Omni Royal Orleans, also on Royal St. The Court of Two Sisters serves brunch everyday and you can sit in the courtyard or inside, either is nice. It is served buffet style which will give you the opportunity to try a variety of New Orleans foods. Be sure to try the boiled crawfish, the Eggs Benedict (but bring the chef some of the creamed spinach to put on it!) the bread pudding, King Cake... The Rib Room is a more relaxed atmosphere, but they only offer Jazz on Sunday but unlimited sparkling wine is included, and it's good! Here you order from a menu, but there's a nice variety. They offer very comfy wing back chairs and and can people watch on Royal Street. It's really not necessary to get a window seat, in fact, I prefer to sit in the middle of the room and get a view from all of the windows!

8) Another breakfast I enjoy is on St. Peter St., the Old Coffee Pot. The service and the food are always good.

9) The carriage rides can be good and interesting, but only if you happen to get a knowledgeable tour guide. I've had one really good one, a lady, and another awful one (he wouldn't let anyone ask questions!)

10) If the Saints are playing in New Orleans, you have to try to get tickets for a game. What a way to see the locals in action!

11) If you have time, a plantation tour would be good. There are several plantations upriver that are open for tours. My personal favorites are San Francisco, Houma's House and Nottoway. I've heard Laura is also beautiful. These tours will definitely be an all day event.

12) Any time you can spend either driving or walking around The Garden District would not be wasted. Historic New Orleans neighborhoods are so beautiful

As always, be aware of your surroundings and be safe.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope you have perfect, cool, dry weather for your visit and enjoy your stay so much that you can't stop talking about it when you return to Scotland!

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nola

what a good detailed reply

thank you so very much ..it is so kind of you to take time to send this information to us.

we are so grateful.

not sure where to stay .. any thought on that one ?

also thank you to the all who have replyed .

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nola

Everybody that posts here regularly has their favorite hotels, so I agree with porelly that you check some trip reports for GREAT information! You can get tried and true judgements for hotels, restaurants, etc. which is much better than a straight list of places that you can find in any vacation brochure. Besides, the investigation is half the fun!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nola

I agree. It's really impossible to really plan someone else's travel without knowing more about them SO read those trip reports, scan the top 30 or so hotels and B&Bs, etc. You'll find that New Orleans has many great places to stay, dine and enjoy.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nola

There is some duplication of Lady NOLA's list here:

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of tje Quarter from the river.

-Peruse the art galleries on Royal Street.

-At nite, either watch or particpate in the spirit of bacchanalia on Bourbon Street.

-As an alternative at nite, walk over to Frenchman Street to the jazz clubs.

-EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT at many of the dozens of superb dining establishments in the Quarter.

-SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP in everything from "touristy" shops to high-end places.

-DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK if that is your wont.  Lots of places and lots of differnt drinks.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nola

Hmmm...I like the first question, "What is Nola?"

I figure you're planning a trip to the States that might include more than one city on your itinerary?

New Orleans is unlike any other city in the US. Remember, we're much younger as a nation that you Scots, so in most US cities the architecture and culture pride themselves on being "modern." Also, the culture of a great portion of the US descends from our British and Puritan heritage.

New Orleans has a different history and vibe since it was settled by the French and Spanish and evolved along a different path than other parts of the country. It has wonderful historc charm--older buildings with Spanish and Caribbean architectural influences, traditional jazz and blues still being played in the clubs, and food that mixes French, Spanish, and Caribbean influences. It seems to move at a slower pace and relish its history. It was also described by one author as "a city in which no hour of the day is immune to a parade." In other words, spontaneous celebrations and official parties are quite common. Excess and eccentricity are embraced.

In other words...it's a fantastic place to visit!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nola

New Orleans, LA - NOLA ("LA" is the US Post Office abbreviation for Louisiana)

Eating and drinking and, to be trite - Let the Good Times Roll - is NOLA. If you begin to feel stressed - have another drink!

A few other suggestions: Go to Arnaud's and get a tour of their Mardi Gras museum too...

For Jazz in the Quarter: Fritzl's

Magazine St.

Audubon Park and Uptown around Tulane is beautiful.

Take a swamp tour

Take a cemetery tour

Felix's or Acme or Pascal's Manale for oysters on the half shell...

And, if someone says they can tell you where you got your shoes...believe them :-)

10. Re: nola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 07:15