We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

This will be out first time to New Orleans. I had always wished to visit this city. We have seen that the RCCL has 4 sailings out of New Orleans in January 2013 during Mardi Gras. I would like some help in deciding which cruise date to book that would be the best view of Mardi Gras parade if we stay 1 or 2 nights either end of our cruise. Also where should we stay within a modest budget that we would get the best view of the parade. We will be flying in to New Orleans and will not be renting a vehicle. We are seniors so wish to be in a safe area, perhaps not too far from the cruiseship terminal? I will give you the dates of the cruises available. Sailings leave New Orleans:

Jan. 5-12 return a.m.

Jan. 12-19 return a.m.

Jan. 19-26 return a.m.

We will either stay 1or 2 nights either end or both is necessary to fit in a nice parade. It may also depend on what I can find for good hotel rates on parade nights. Please any help would be more than appreciated as I wish to get our cruise booked.

Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

Mardi Gras is on February 12 next year. The first parade isn't until January 19. You can find the entire carnival season parade schedule here- mardigrasneworleans.com/mardi-gras-2013.html

Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

Thank you for your information. Perhaps we should plan cruising:

Jan. 26 - Feb. 2nd, arriving back in NO on Feb. 02 a.m. or:

Feb. 02-09, arriving back a.m. Feb. 9th cruise and stay until Ash Wednesday which is Feb. 13th.

I was avoiding those dates because of the game on Feb. 3rd.

What is considered Madri Gras lite dates for 2013?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

Just to avoid confusion, and not to be critical, Mardi Gras is the day (Fat Tuesday [February 12 in 2013]) before Ash Wednesday. Carnival is the season starting on Twelfth Night (always January 6) and ending on Mardi Gras. What many folks think of as "Mardi Gras" is the six days ending with and including Fat Tuesday, this coming year 2/7-2/12.

The weekend preceeding the last weekend before Fat Tuesday is referred to by some out-of-town visitors as "Mardi Gras Lite", although locals usually think of it as the first weekend of big parades. However, because this coming year's Super Bowl is in New Orleans on February 3, Mardi Gras Lite has been moved up to the 1/25-1/27 weekend; there are large parades Friday, Saturday, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon during Mardi Gras Lite. There are several small parades through the French Quarter the Saturday before Mardi Gras Lite, 1/19 in 2013.

If you want to experience the real "Mardi Gras", 2/9-2/13 is the time to do it. For a Saturday stay the weekend immediately before Fat Tuesday most hotels will require a four night stay. You will probably want to book your room during or before mid August. I would book a "backup", prepaid if necessary, that is fully cancelable (refundable) up to 30 days prior to time of stay without penalty or fee, now, and than continue to shop for any better deal.

The parades are designed to be viewed from beside the street. Most (but not all) of the City of New Orleans parades go down St. Charles Ave. to Canal St., Canal St. to Tchoupitoulas St., and up Tchoupitoulas St. to Poydras St. Reputable hotels close to that route and just a short cab ride to/from the Cruise terminal would include: Courtyard by Marriott (St. Charles Ave.), Sheraton New Orleans, New Orleans Marriott, JW Marriott, Windsor Court Hotel, Loews New Orleans, Hotel Monteleone, International House, Intercontinental, Country Inn and Suites, and Best Western St. Christopher; do not expect budget prices 2/1-2/3 or 2/8-2/12.

I like to watch most parades on Tchoupitoulas St. between Canal St. and Poydras St., keeping in mind 3 major parades, Endymion, Rex and Zulu, do not pass by there (but they do come close).

Edited: 20 July 2012, 16:38
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

Thanks for a very informative reply. I will endeavour to search out accommodation for the important weekends involved. I notice that the House of the Rising Son, a ferry ride away from French Quarters is already booked for that weekend. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

5. Re: Taking a RCCL in Jan. 2013 to correspoond with seeing Mardi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:16