We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

LONG ISLAND, NASSAU...
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

Ok so I booked this trip since DECEMBER !! SO EXCITED...now its going to RAIN 4 OUT OF MY 6 DAYS :( YES I Know where to eat BUT MOST activities are outdoors....Wat is going to happen to my ferry ride, boat paddle ride, parks and festivals for satchmo's etc.....natchez cruise all my plans (I am crying) What do people do when it is rainging? I dont want to hang out in my hotel I want to walk around and remain not drenched please help : (

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

It's only 7/24, the weather prediction is likely to change and even if it doesn't, daily rain rarely means all day rain! Don't freak out!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

Don't worry about it!!! You'll be having so much fun, you probably won't even notice the rain! I certainly didn't notice it while I was slushing around in it!! :) You'll be just fine.

LONG ISLAND, NASSAU...
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

Thank you I am soooo nervous I just want everything to be perfect

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

I have been there when it rained just about all day every day-still had a great time. But, I have also been in your situation. Had all this stuff to do planned and the forecast was for rain every day. It didn't rain one time. So, don't get worked up it may not even rain and if it does believe me in the August heat you will probably welcome a bit of rain.

LONG ISLAND, NASSAU...
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

bcla you are the 5th person who said I will be praying for rain thank you all I will exhale now....and go with the flow for once : )

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

Bring an umbrella and a good attitude. It's the middle of summer, chances are it will rain a some point during the day but don't let that spoil your trip.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

New Orleans is the kind of place that has so much to see and do, your days and evenings will be full even if it rains. Which brings up another thing to worry about.

OK, you have made a list of things to see and do, and you are ready to go. You get there, and start on your list. Then you find that you are spending more time on something, and you find yourself running out of time. Add that you will find other unlisted things that you will stop and see, and before you know it, you are out of time, and you haven't done half the things on your list!

Accept the fact that you will not see everything on your list. But you will see and do more than you expected or knew about. And finally, enjoy all that you see and do, without being being enslaved to a list. If you can do that, New Orleans in particular, and any destination in general, will be revealed in satisfying and rewarding ways.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

I understand your concern, but it probably won't rain all day and there is so much to do in New Orleans that it won't be hard to find something during the rainy periods. Here are some suggestions:

See the movie Hurricane on the Bayou at the Omnimax Theatre

Visit Mardi Gras World and see how the floats are made

shop at the French Market

See the Katrina exhibit at the Cabildo

take a streetcar ride along St. Charles and get off at the Columns Hotel for a drink. The Brooke Shields movie Pretty Baby was filmed at the Columns.

Have a drink at Lafittes Blacksmith Shop and watch the world go by

Have a drink at the Carousel Bar in the Monteleone Hotel

Unexpected fun times can happen in New Orleans in the rain. On our most recent trip to New Orleans, we were just finishing up on a walking tour and it started pouring. We ran to a nearby bar and spent a very fun hour chatting with locals and enjoying a few drinks. By the time we left, the sun was shining again and the people we had met at the bar had told us about a weekly festival going on that night that we should go to - and we did!

It is pretty far in advance right now to get an accurate forecast, but even if it does rain, you will still have a great time!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

“Don’t you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn’ t just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands.” — Blanche Dubois, A Street Car Named Desire (Tennessee Williams)

Keep your eye out for a comfortable French Quarter cafe/bar with covered table or stools offering a good view of the street and sidewalks. Rain in the French Quarter offers its own special peace and beauty. Let the damp warmth battled by intense air conditioned cooling, typically wonderful music playing from somewhere, view of people and structures with a descernible past, and sweet yet pungent odor followed by the clean after-rain bouquet, just kind of flow over you.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NOLA -August 1st thru 6th...RAIN What do I do ?????? : (

Buy a cheap poncho (or a garbage bag will do) and carry on!