We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining and late night safety in Algiers

Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dining and late night safety in Algiers

This is our first trip to NOLA and I have been reading a lot of your trip reports and on the forum, we will be visting the week between Christmas and New Years.

So here are my questions, we rented a house in Algiers, what I know right now about location is that it is 3 blocks from the ferry. I understand we can ferry and take street cars to the French Quarter as well as the Garden District, but would you recommend if we have dinner and drinks in the French Quarter into the evening (not later than 10) would you use this same transportation in the eveining? We will have a car, so maybe it is better to drive?

Are there restuarants in that area if we were wanting to not venture far one morning or evening?

Car Noir
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New Orleans Car Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

Anyone?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

Guess my suggested title posting language wasn't all that great. Here are some past postings which you may find helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k401371…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k391242…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k293574…

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

The Algiers Ferry is excellent transportation during the day, but I think it would be best to travel by car from Algiers to the French Quarter and back at nite. The ferry terminal is a long and often deserted building with not much security, that I could see. Daytime is no problem, but I personally would not want to walk through it at nite. Definitely go by car at nite.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

I would not walk Algiers at night. Maybe someone from that side of the river can chime in, though.

Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

We will have our car, so if we drive how is parking in the French Quarter? Or is there another area that is better to park in and take the street car to the French Quarter?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

I'd be interested to know how you rented a house in Algiers!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

I want to know ALL about your house, walking around in Algires, taking the ferry...everything! We have only been to Algiers Point in the day time and it was wonderful, peaceful, and beautiful. I love it over there! ALL details when you come home will be more than welcome!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
712 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

I was in New Orleans last week and took a cruise on the Creole Queen. The man in front of me asked the ticket lady if it was safe to get off of the ferry and walk around Algiers. She stated "not if you value your life, have you watched the news lately? There have been several murders over there including a tourist". I would do more research before I stayed in Algiers, especially as this came from a local. I've taken the ferry to Algiers and walked around briefly with no issues but that was several years ago when Mardi Gras World were in Algiers. For a first trip I recommend staying in the French Quarter.

Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

We rented on VRBO.com, we have rented from them in different cities in the past and have had great results. It is really a shotgun duplex and we rented one have. We have friends staying the same area a week after us and they rented a different place I believe through the same website.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining and late night safety in Algiers

Addicted, just as an FYI this rental is almost certainly illegal in New Orleans. In this city, rentals have to be 30+ days in order to be "legal," otherwise they have to be a licensed hotel, B&B, timeshare, etc. I've also used VRBO in other cities where such short-term rentals are legal but don't recommend it here.