We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

We are leaving on our first New Orleans trip one week from today! I have a massive list of restaurants I'm still sorting through, but one thing I haven't found is restaurant recommendations right around our hotel, the Hotel Monteleone. And by "immediate area" I mean within 2-3 blocks.

In particular, I'm asking because when we arrive on Thursday we have a tour planned, so we won't have much time to travel somewhere for lunch before it starts. Is there anything tasty right in that area? Even if it's not a quick lunch-type place I'd be interested in hearing about it.

We are definitely foodies and don't want to waste a meal on a place that's just so-so. Otherwise I'll just bring a snack from home and save my appetite for our dinner at Cochon Thursday night!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Monteleone
Hotel Monteleone
8,102 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,047 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

Keep in mind the French Quarter is relatively small. It won't take you much longer to walk 5-6 blocks than it will to walk 2-3. So feel free to expand your range a bit if you have time.

Across the street from your hotel is Mr. B's Bistro. Very good place to get lunch. Much more casual and much quicker would be Cafe Beignet, down the street (left out of the main hotel lobby) maybe a block (?). This a a "grab and go" or "grab and sit" kind of place versus Mr. B's which is a sit-down restaurant.

http://www.cafebeignet.com/

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

Acme Oyster House is just round the corner on Iberville.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

That's really helpful to know about the small blocks! I'm used to downtown chicago blocks, which tend to be pretty long.

Carriere
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

oh,no no ..picture waaay smaller scale than Chicago..The quarter is really small,tight quarters..no pun intended..

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

You are not far from Red Gravy, 125 Camp. One of the best breakfast and lunch options in New Orleans. Terrific food, reasonable prices and great service. Can't recommend it enough.

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
768 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

I totally agree with KC! Can't go wrong with Red Gravy!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
768 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

Your hotel is right across the street from Mr. B's Bistro, maybe my favorite "all around" (brunch, lunch and dinner) New Orleans restaurant. It's very nice but kind of business casual, not in the least bit stuffy. My favorite gumbo (Gumbo Ya Ya) anywhere.

Most anything within 4-5 blocks will be a very comfortable walk in pleasant weather. You have a lot to choose from; so you can be more specific regarding your particular interests.

Mentioned in this post
Gumbo Ya-Ya
Gumbo Ya-Ya
42 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

There is a new restaurant in the Monteleone. I haven't tried it yet but I've seen some positive reviews.

http://criollonola.com/

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

KCK made a very good recommendation ....Red Gravy is just a half block across Canal St. from Chartres (which is one block from Royal toward the river)......so it's about four short blocks from you. It's only open for breakfast and lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
768 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in the immediate area around Hotel Monteleone

nobigdeal, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of food/restaurants in a close proximity! Yes, the "blocks" take only a couple minutes to walk. I'm with KCK, Den and Lili...go to Red Gravy--you will forever relish the experience of eating Vera's food! :)

Edited: 17 August 2012, 14:08
Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
768 Reviews
New Orleans, LA