We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
510 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

ok.. .got it narrowed down with going to NO most likely next June... and either one of the two hotels.... so now.. which hotel? and why this hotel? suggestions, suggestions...

thank you

Illinois

1. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 August 2012, 17:06
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I have stayed at both, though my last stay at Le Richelieu was pre Katrina. For most visitors, Provincial offers a more central location, while Le Richelieu is closer to the Frenchmen St/Marigny area. If you are driving in, Le Rechelieu has one of the very few hotel self park and lock secure on-site parking areas in the French Quarter. Provincial has somewhat nicer furnishings, and is slightly "nicer" in general, Le Richelieu having a somewhat "retro" feel. Being in a collection of older buildings, the is more variation in size and layout among Provincial rooms.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I have never stayed at Le Richelieu so I can't comment on that hotel at all. I have stayed at The Provincial 6 times and am looking forward to many more stays there. The hotel has had a makeover and what they have done is quite nice. The entire hotel is non-smoking now too. The beds COMFY, the staff treats us like family since we have been there that often, the staff is very helpful and friendly, the A/C in the room works WELL, the location in the lower more residential end of the Quarter is perfect and quiet enough to sleep at night and there's lots of good eating places close by, it's easy walking distance to all the attractions and Bourbon Street, close to Frenchman Street. I love this hotel, staff, location, and the brand new Ice House Bar!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I have stayed at Le Richelieu, a decent place. It is on the downriver edge of the Quarter. It is probably the best situated French Quarter hotel to Frenchmen St, a short 2-3 block walk. It is something of a hike to let's say Pat O'Brien's, and after a long day in the Quarter, walking past the Provincial on your way back to the Richelieu gives one pause to consider.

All things considered, I would not have a concern with either of them.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I have stayed at both and you can't go wrong with either. Both are very nice and are located just a block apart, If you are driving, I would give a slight edge to LeRichelieu for parking as they have a better parking area in my opinion (easier to get in/out if you want to take your vehicle out). My favorite room that we ever had in New Orleans was at Hotel Provincial, but it has been turned into the bar area so that room no longer exists.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,086 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

My vote will ALWAYS go to HP, even tho I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about LeRichelieu. I've just never stayed there. Like Loop and kjosker pointed out, Hotel Provincial is better located to the heart of the Quarter, LeRichlieu is better located to Frenchman. Depends on what your focus is!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

jlr hit all the points I would have...we have been at both an equal number of times and each has its charm (three times)...if you are driving maybe the LeRichelieu would be more convenient and $20 a day parking in and out privileges etc. and less cost than Provincial.. we particularly like the creole style at the Provincial an fountains but with Stella basically on the property it gives rise to a lot of restaurant patrons parking etc.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I second Provincial. It's a great hotel. Enjoy your trip.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
660 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I stayed at Le Richelieu a couple of weeks ago and really liked the hotel. As others have mentioned if you are driving, the parking is great at only $20 a day and you have access to your car anytime which is unusual at most FQ hotels. We had a large shared balcony on the Barracks St. side and it was so nice to be able to walk out and hear the Satchmo Music Festival which was going on at the time. We also had a refrigerator which was nice. We enjoyed the little courtyard and pool also.

I have never stayed at Provincial but my sister stayed there during this trip and I visited her room. I have to say I was not impressed. It was rather plain and small. It was in building 5 so if you go with Provincial maybe ask for another building as many people on the forum like this hotel so I'm sure there are nicer rooms. As far as location, these hotels are located very close to one another on the same street so I wouldn't consider Provencial to be better located.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
798 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which one? Hotel Provincial or Hotel Le Richelieu

I have stayed at the Le Richelieu 3 times and enjoyed each time. If you stay here don't expect the latest in furnishings or decor. But to me that's where all the charm comes from. Plus, you shouldn't be spending too much time in your room while in NOLA anyway. The little bar/lounge downstairs has had live music and is also a hangout for some of the locals in the adjacent neighborhoods. Since it is on the very eastern edge of the FQ it is a little bit of a hall from Bourbon Street at 2 am. Like was mentioned in the post above if you plan on frequenting Frenchman Street, which I highly reccomend this is a great location. If you do get a room with a balcony on the Charters side of the property it is not a private balcony. It is a balcony that runs the full length of the hotel with no "dividers" between your neighbors room. Something to think about if this bothers you. Our second stay my wife and I actually met a couple around the same age as us enjoying the balcony and we struck up a conversation and ended up having a few cocktails together in the chairs we dragged out to the balcony. We still stay in touch by e-mail, facebook, etc..with them.