We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to get around from Garden District

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to get around from Garden District

We will be staying at the prytania park hotel in sept. I know we can get the street cars near our hotel, but not sure if these will cover most of the places of interest we want to see. (French Quarter, Bourbon St.) What is the best way to get around, we are renting a car but I know parking will be a problem so I don't think we will want to use it that much. I was thinking a taxi might be our best bet. Any suggestions would be great.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

We'll also be staying at the Prytania Park next month, so I've been studying the street car routes! St. Charles streetcar takes you to the edge of the French Quarter. Check out the links on this site for maps - norta.com/getting_around/…index.html

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
336 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

We are here now and just an FYI fox8live.com/story/19221095/rta-to-continue-…

You have to take the #12 bus to Canal. But, it seems, anything after September 5th should be OK?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

Thanks Blumagoo (and I need to correct my previous post - we're actually staying at the Prytania OAKS.)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

Cjnky and DLouise, you're really not that far from the FQ at all. With that said, you could always walk down to Magazine and catch the Magazine Street bus, but timing that right is always hit or miss, so for the small amount the cab fare would cost, I'd go that route. Once the St. Charles is running to the French Quarter, that's a great way to travel.

DLouise: Bourbon St is in the French Quarter, so once your in the French Quarter, Bourbon St. is close at hand. Try to make it to Frenchmen Street, too (just past Esplanade St. at the other end of the French Quarter)

Take advantage of the fact that you're within easy walking distance of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and the WWII Museum. The Confederate Museum and Louisiana Children's museum are also nearby. I'd put the WWII Museum at the top of that list.

I find I walk much longer distances when I'm in New Orleans because there's so much to see along the way, that I never think about how far I'm walking. Just wear VERY COMFORTABLE shoes.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

Note that in lieu of the St. Charles streetcar service, bus service will be provided. Although the alternative bus service is somewhat confusing and difficult during Carnival when the streetcar is shut down for parades, when it's used in place of the streetcar line being shut down for repairs it can actually be more efficient, if not as romantic, transportation. For a bit easier to read notice regarding the suspended service, see:

norta.com/_meta/files/Rider_Alerts/StCharles…

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

Ouch! The first one said through Sept 5th, which wouldn't have effected us, but that article says mid September.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

We were told it was out of service til December and from what I saw there isn't any way it will be back in service anytime in Sept.

Mike in Tulsa

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

This information is sure appreciated - much better to know before I get there than to have a surprise like that pop up then!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

Really it wasn't a big deal we just hopped on the bus both ways. We bought an all day pass for $3.00. It is good for both trolly's and buses.

Mike in Tulsa

10. Re: Best Way to get around from Garden District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:16