We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans and further afield

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans and further afield

We are thinking of a cruise from New Orleans in January.

We thought perhaps of flying into NO, and renting a car to travel to Memphis for 2 days and then 2 days in Nashville, before driving back to spend 2 days in NO.

Any comments and suggestions on this would be welcome. Any suggestions on what to see and where to stay. We have never been to this are before so any advice would be welcome.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans and further afield

Definitely stay in the French Quarter, especially for a 2 day stay. That is where you will most of your time.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans and further afield

How long are you planning for this trip? We're planning on spending 3 days just to get from the Nashville area to cajun country (without spending time in Memphis) and then spending 4 days in Cajun country before getting to New Orleans. All can be done in less time, but what are your main interests for this trip?

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans and further afield

Hi

I have done short visits to Memphis and Nashville. Just did the main tourist things (and worth it for us). Drove to Memphis via Tupelo (Elvis birth house). Memphis went to Gracelands and Beale street and imo a do not miss Sun studio's. Nashville went to the Grand Old Oprey (sightsee not a concert) and the Music Hall of Fame (do the studio tour whilst there.)

If your in the area I would cram as much in as possible, we always do, never know if you will ever get back there.

Clive

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans and further afield

If you a fan of rock and roll Memphis is a must do. So much history. Graceland, Sun StudiosI, Stax Records, etc. It's interesting I have passed through Memphis many times, I live in New Orleans but grew up in Chicago, so i stop alot in Memphis on my way to visit my parents and because I have good friends there. I didn't do any of the tourist stuff until this last time and I was very surprised how much history that place has. Every-time i got back there's something else i wanna go back an explore.

Nashville is the place for country music, I have spent considerably less time there.. so I don't have a ton of advice about that city.

Its also important to consider if you want to stop other places? There is alot of beautiful country between all these places and many strange roadside attractions. It's a fairly long drive. What are you folks interested it? Memphis is a great place if you love elvis and old rock and roll and want to see where alot of it came from. New Orleans has tons of history and a fun loving party attitude. Personally I'd want to spend more time in New Orleans but I do love my adopted home and think its a pretty special place.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans and further afield

I would skip Nashville and save it for a later trip. Drive up # 61 from NOLA to historic Natchez, MS and visit the antebellum homes there then head N to historic Vicksburg, MS. Visit the National Military Park. Spend a night in Natchez, one in VB and head to Clarksdale, MS home of the blues. Stay in an authentic plantation shack in Clarksdale and visit Morgan Freeman's Ground Zero Blues Club for good music and BBQ. Stop at the Blue and White in Tunica for good country food for lunch. Then head to Memphis. You will enjoy the Delta. Enjoy your trip.

VISIT THE DELTA......

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

commercialappeal.com/news/…

MS BLUES TRAIL..............

http://www.msbluestrail.org/

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans and further afield

I agree with axle. I would spend the time in New Orleans and Memphis and save Nashville for another time.

7. Re: New Orleans and further afield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:18