We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in New Orleans

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in New Orleans

My husband and I are going to New Orleans in October. I have read all about all of the great restaurants. I have 2 dinners and one Jazz Sunday brunch to plan for. One dinner will be Bayona because I like the menu and it is highly recommended.

There are so many great choices, please give personal experience recommendations. (not mexicnl or asian, I do want local fare please) Thank you!!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in New Orleans

We have eaten at NOLA and it is amazing.....if you let us know what kind of food you like we might be able to direct you.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in New Orleans

Commanders Palace lives up to the hype. Maybe better for brunch or lunch than dinner.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in New Orleans

I love Chartres House. They also have a taste of New Orleans sampler that is really good with gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans and rice. It is delicious and so is their fried catfish!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in New Orleans

I have been to all three of Emeril's restaurants. I like Emeril's best. NOLA is great but it was too busy for me. Delmonico's is also outstanding. My all time favorite is Galatoire's. If you go to Commander's ask for a table in the Garden Room. Bayona's is a good choice.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in New Orleans

A restaurant that I never see mentioned on this forum is Herbsaint. I was reminded of it last week when a dear friend and family ate there. It is wonderful. I love it being right on the St. Charles Ave. streetcar line with the streetcar passing out front. Service is great too!

If you haven't been to Commander's, you must. Sunday brunch there in the Garden Room would be very special. I would make reservations now for a table there. Galatoire's would be another great choice but I would go there for dinner.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in New Orleans

Thanks for all your wonderful recommendations!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in New Orleans

Mr B's Bistro was our favorite over Bayona when we were there and Commanders Palace bruch was incredible. We alraedy have our reservations for Commanders this weekend and Mr B's will also be in there for sure.

You gotta sneak in a Johnny's Po Boy as well !! Mmmmm

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in New Orleans

For a Jazz brunch..go to Arnaud's. Ask about their Mardi Gras Museum, too...

You might want to consider Brigtsen's for dinner, too. It's way up St Charles, but worth the trip.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 17:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in New Orleans

I completely agree about Mr. B's Bistro. - it would be our choice for dinner, not Bayona.

We just don’t understand the hype about Bayona.

If a restaurant is well-acclaimed but we did not like it first time, we usually try to be back 2 more times . We have been to Bayona 3 times within a year. The initial decision to go was based on their menu – I really liked how the descriptions. It was around Halloween trip last year.

The main question after dinner was “Why did we come here?”

So we agreed to try it again – in March this year. The same result.

Last week we were in New Orleans; got totally exhausted after a hot day of biking around the city and did not feel like going too far. We stayed at Mason Dupuy (the last night before it was shut down) and decided to go again to Bayona, since it was right there. (even though we had an amazing meal on previous night at Vacherie – which was much closer – we just did not want to do the same again right away; but definitely we’ll be back to Vacherie, such a discovery).

So it was Bayona again. And the verdict this time was – never again.

There are too many outstanding restaurants in New Orleans ; Bayona is definitely not one of them on our list.

I am talking only about the food. The service is impeccable; the wine list is good too. Without going into too many details, one of the main observations - the food served is always lukewarm, as if it was prepared the moment you placed your order and just sat there.

One of the places we always go to is Cochon. I would not put their service on the same level as Bayona, but I would rate the food much higher. We have a tradition: on the way to Cochon we love to stop at W.I.N.O - something like a pre-dinner drink but trying different wines.

We did go to Felix this trip, which turned out to be the cheapest meal of the trip: they do not serve alcohol but they encourage you to bring your own. So we placed our order and I run to the general store right around the corner, on Royal ( across from Walgreen, a bit closer to Canal) - they sell beer, liquor and wine. We were sitting by the entrance at Felix ; did not see a single person leaving when told about no alcohol (it was Sunday before the Labour Day, so it was pretty busy). (And since we were staying at Mason Dupuy, right next to P&J , I did chat with workers to confirm that they sell oysters to both Felix and ACME. )

For those lucky ones who are visiting New Orleans now – don’t miss the Louisiana Seafood week , with lunch for $20.00 and dinner for #35.00 – and some really great restaurants are participating (including Galatoire’s, Arnaud’s, Luke, Brigsten’s, Commander’s palce , Mr. B’s Bistro and more).

Edited: 12 September 2012, 15:33
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in New Orleans

One idea i want to throw out there is that many New Orleans restaurants/bars have great happy hour/lunch specials. One example is Antoine's Lunch Special. A three course meal for $20.12 with the option of .25 cent martinis. Though having a couple martinis in the middle of day is rough for all but the most seasoned of drinkers.

I've been thinking of putting together a list of all the lunch specials and making it a travel guide on this site....