We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Day tre

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report- Day tre

Saturday morning started off slowly after over indulging the night before. Hey its New Orleans who hasn't. Spent the morning at the coffee shop at the Royal Sonesta. Headed out to Central Grocer for a muffaletta. The line was out the door as usual but it moved fast. I was shocked. Once inside I could see it was due to the fact that they had three younger people working the counter in addition to the two older guys. Took the muffaletta across the street and enjoyed it. Will try Cochon next time.

We had booked an airboat swamp tour so back to the hotel for pick up but not before stopping to buy a cooler and beer. After all passengers were picked up we were the only ones with beer. They were pleading with the driver to stop. The airboat ride and tour was great and would recommend it.

Once we got back to the Quarter we walked to Chartres House for dinner. They changed their menu but the food was very good. I had jumbalaya with andouille and chicken. It was good. The rice now reminds me of Popeyes rice whereas it used to be tomato based.

After dinner we walked to the Saint Hotel. Malcolm from the Royal Sonesta also works there as a bellman and mentioned that they had a band playing in their lounge. I don't remember their name but it was 50s and 60s music.

Malcolm was kind enough to give us a tour of the Hotel. The rooms are modern and clean. But I don't think Deny and Herm would ever stay there. The room I saw only had a huge walk in shower.

We then walked over to the Boondock Saint and as we turned off of Bourbon onto St. Peter we we greeted with the site of minaturized verzions of the Death mobile and cake float from Animal House along with people dancing and singing on St. Peter dressed as characters from the movie. Only in New Orleans and it was hysterical. They were even playing the movie soundtrack. I asked one of the girls and she said it was the 2nd Annual Animal House pub crawl and they were on their last stop.

We then went back to the hotel to catch the Deja Vu Brass band at Irving Mayfields. They were entertaining. It was now 2 a.m. and time to get ready to face day four......

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

Thoroughly enjoying your reports Cal! What great fun with that Animal House Pub Crawl. So true...only in New Orleans! I didn't know that our beloved Malcolm aslo worked at The Saint Hotel! I at least know that place has a saint working for them though! Hopefully we'll see him next time we walk by there! You're right too...we prolly wouldn't stay there! Can't wait for more!!!!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

Next time you want a Muffaletta and there's a line at CG go down the street a couple of doors to Franks. Thanks for your kind TR's. Enjoy your visit.

http://franksrestaurantneworleans.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

Axle I tried Franks once and did not like the hot version of a muffaletta as much as the cold. Wonder if they serve it that way.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

Cal you're not alone! I don't like hot muffaletta's either! I prefer mine stone cold!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

Cal, Cochon Butcher's muffaletta is warm as well, but I bet you can ask them not to warm it up. :)

6. Re: Trip Report- Day tre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 11:18