We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

Hi,

Although my husband is battling a serious illness, he's between treatments, and he looks and feels terrific, so we're trying to make the most of the time. We just made spur-of-the-moment reservations to stay at The Roosevelt. (He'd been there before on business and loved the Sazerac Bar.) We're in our 50s.

Can anyone recommend restaurants? Would love something one night on the river, if that's possible, and one night somewhere famous (but also good), one night more casual. We're sort of foodies, and my husband loves an interesting cocktail. I love good wine. Atmosphere-- beautiful, romantic-- is paramount. Music is not (I know that's sacrilege in New Orleans, but we want to talk). I don't feel wedded to the French Quarter every single night, although being able to walk is a plus.

I'm also looking for things to do in the three full days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) that we have. We like to walk and my husband is fully able. We love history, literature, architecture. Also happy to sit somewhere beautiful and watch the world go by. Nice shops-- (antiques, art) also good. Should we consider a private tour of any kind?

Thanks so very much for any and all advice.

Mentioned in this post
The Sazerac Bar
The Sazerac Bar
276 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,470 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

DCSnoozy - So glad you're doing this trip!

We have stayed at the Roosevelt 4 or 5 times. Love the hotel. It's super beautiful and the Sazerac Bar is a great place and has a number of "interesting cocktails" for your husband.

For dinners, kind of depends what you feel like eating but some of our favorites are:

NOLA - something like nice casual dress, sort of loud and crowded, great sort-of mainstream local food.

Delmonicos - nicer than NOLA but probably no jacket required, quiet and romantic, delicious steaks, wine and cocktails

Mr. B's - pretty casual, awesome local food full of flavor and history

Broussard's - it doesn't get much play on the forum but we went with a groupon and it was the best meal we ate on our last trip, creole preparations of fresh local fish, great service, tucked away off Bourbon street, a sort of haven in the chaos, romantic

Plan at least a day of just walking the quarter and browsing and people watching. Royal St. is where you will find local street musicians and antique shopts. The museums in Jackson Square are really good as is the World War II musuem. If you do WWII, be sure to see the Beyond All Boundaries in the building across the street. You can also stop in John Besh's American Sector for good happy hour and the best onion rings I have ever had (it's the dipping sauce!). An afternoon ride on the Steamboat Natchez is very relaxing and informational. You can also grab beignets and cafe au lait from Cafe du Monde or a muffulette from Central Grocery and take it up to one of the benches overlooking the Mississippi. I could sit and eat and drink and talk and watch the barges go by on that river forever!

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
The Sazerac Bar
The Sazerac Bar
276 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,346 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mr. B's Bistro
Mr. B's Bistro
4,747 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Broussard's
Broussard's
541 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,948 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Steamboat Natchez
Steamboat Natchez
4,297 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Du Monde
Cafe Du Monde
29,964 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

Thank you so much for all the great ideas and advice. So nice of you to write. I'm looking forward to it now more than ever.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

I would recommend Muriel's for a romantic meal, and Commander's Palace for a "famous" meal. We're not really fans of Central Grocery anymore, so I would suggest an "All that Jazz" from Verti Marte to share while sitting on a bench overlooking the river, followed by a free ferry trip to Algiers with a stop at the Crown and Anchor Pub before your free ferry ride back to New Orleans proper.

http://www.crownanchorpub.com/

allmenus.com/la/…

http://www.commanderspalace.com/

http://muriels.com/

Hope this helps, and we look forward to your trip reports!

Mentioned in this post
Commander's Palace
Commander's Palace
8,170 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Verti Marte
Verti Marte
564 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

You could take a private carriage tour. The carriages line up in front of Jackson Square. Some of them hold a lot of people but they also have some smaller ones. Ask them how much for just the two of you.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,948 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

I, too, am gald you're planning this trip. For that interesting cocktail in a lovely setting, I suggest stopping at The Carousel Bar in The Monteleone hotel. It has the famous revolving bar with carousel seating, but there are also a couple of small tables by the huge windows overlooking Royal Street....a very good place to "watch the world go by". (And Royal Street is lined with antique and art shops.) I second cerelife's recommendation for Muriel's and, like bcla, I also think a private carriage ride is a wonderful idea. Enjoy your special time in NOLA ,and I send positive thoughts and wishes to your husband.

Mentioned in this post
Carousel Bar
Carousel Bar
1,697 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Monteleone
Hotel Monteleone
8,195 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Royal Street
Royal Street
6,995 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,346 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Newington...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

I second The hotel Monteleone as we just stayed there 2 weeks ago and it was a little upscale for us but worth going to the bar. There is a second bar that doesn't revolve which is just as good as the revolving one further back behind the revolving bar.. Enjoy! Best wishes to your husband also.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-Peruse the art galleries on Royal Street.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,948 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
St. Louis Cathedral
St. Louis Cathedral
7,090 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Market
French Market
1,907 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Du Monde
Cafe Du Monde
29,964 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mississippi River
Mississippi River
45 Reviews
Louisiana
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Royal Street
Royal Street
6,995 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

Here is a suggested itinerary.  Feel free to modify it as you do more research.

Day 1:  Basically spend the entire day perusing the French Quarter.  You will find plenty to do there.  (See my previous list of FQ activities.)

Day 2:  Take the St Charles streetcar to the Carrollton Street, where there are a number of dining choices.  On the way back, get off at Washington Street and take a self-guided tour of the beautiful Garden District houses:  http://www.frommers.com/destinations/neworleans/0020020034.html

Or you can pay for a more in-depth guided tour.  You can also visit antique stores on Magazine Street.

Day 3:  Take a tour:  Katrina tour to see and understand the devastion and recovery of that event;  a swamp tour, either on an airboat or a pontoon boat; or a plantation tour.

Mentioned in this post
Garden District
Garden District
7,517 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magazine Street
Magazine Street
982 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

I really can't thank all of you enough for all this terrific information. I absolutely can't wait!

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Nights/3 Full Days - Bucket List trip to New Orleans

Just checking in to tell you we had a fantastic trip. We made some great new memories and we didn't get to do half of what we wanted, but we did love everything we did.

The Roosevelt was great-- beautiful room, great service, and we did like that Sazerac bar! We had dinner the first night at Irene's, which felt lively and festive and put us right in the middle of the French Quarter. The first day we spent in the French Quarter and Jackson Square pretty much all day. We went to the Hermann-Grima House-- really interesting and worth the time. And we went to St. Louis Cathedral. The rest of the time we wandered around. Had a great lunch but unfortunately, I stupidly forgot the name of the restaurant! Went to Muriel's for dinner. They gave us a table right at the corner so we had a great view of Jackson Square. Service and food was terrific.

Third day we went to the Garden District, and took a two-hour walking tour with Magic Tours. Learned a lot, including the fact that if my husband gets well I want to live there. :-) Then we took a trolley up St. Charles, got off and walked around some more, and took the trolley back. Went to Emeril's Delmonico for dinner. Fantastic!! Service was amazing and we sat in this little room they called the wine cellar, which was just beautiful. A real highlight.

Yesterday, our last, we rented a car and drove up to Houmas House and Laura plantations. We have been on so many historic house tours, but I never learned so much as I did at those. The guides were first rate. We ate at Domenica because it was in the hotel and we had to be up early for our flight.

Still to do-- so much!!!! But it was a very special trip and we made lots of new memories. My husband said, "Now I really want to live, so we can do more of this, although I'd have fun with you in Cleveland." :-) (Nothing against Cleveland! And they do have the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame!) Anyway, I did want to thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'll still keep them for a return trip.

Edited: 08 October 2012, 23:39
Mentioned in this post
The Sazerac Bar
The Sazerac Bar
276 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,470 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square