We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your most memorable eats of 2012

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Your most memorable eats of 2012

Sorry, can't afford to wait till the end of the year ;)

What are your most memorable specific dishes, snacks, etc of 2012?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

Without a doubt, my favouite was the polpetta omlet at Red Gravy....meatballs, ricotta cheese, topped with red gravy, served with garlic bread..... still thinking about it 7 months later!!!!

Karen

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

As relates to restaurants or dishes being, for me, unique to 2012, Cajun Queso, Sticky Pork Belly and Duck Debis & Butternut Beignets from SoBou, and generally Vacherie, with particularlly outstanding fried oysters. Most anything on the menu from Red Gravy. The skirt steak from Bacchanal.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
686 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

Lamb shank and mustard greens at Joey K's. The meat was delicious and tender. Fried catfish at Acme Oyster. The fish was seasoned perfectly!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

I read so many recommendations about Red Gravy and was looking forward to a nice brunch here. It was the worst meal we had and really put us off on places that are highly recommended. Our meal was bland and was delivered with no effort to please the customer. Value, taste, presentation were all missing? Brunch should be warm, this wasn't, but more disheartening was there were no apologies.

Maybe we got a bad Sunday morning but I could not recommend this restaurant. After our experience here, we decided to travel outside the FQ (I know Red Gravy is a bit outside but close enough) and had wonderful meals that were so much better value and presentation eg.The Cake Cafe.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

The stuffed Mirliton and goat cheese and shrimp crepes at Muriel's, the peanut butter and bacon burger at Yo Mama's (before all the comotion), fried chicken and waffles at Red Gravy, and last but not least, the Breaux Bridge at Stanley's.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

The muffaletta at Cochon Butcher, along with the sides of brussel sprouts and boudin.

We had great food at Vacherie, ordered at the bar, including a great charcuterie plate.

The chef's tasting menu at Commander's Palace.

Newington...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

basic cheese omelet at Jimmy J's cafe. We went 2 days in a row to eat here. Outstanding! We still talk about it 6 weeks later. We will be back!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,295 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

chargrilled oysters and the oyster trio at Royal House Oyster Bar

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

Venusalberta, if you'd please check the review you posted, you'll see I responded as sincerely as possible.

To the OP question, do cocktails count?? If so, it's got to be the walnut manhattan from Appoline on Magazine. Loved it so much I had to ask for the recipe. If I have to stick to food (as if that could be an actual problem!) then it would be the tripe from A Mano. Sure, tripe is tripe....but I haven't had it in years and it was done superbly; plus I didn't have to smell it cooking.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your most memorable eats of 2012

I got a slight cold from a day out in the rain and headed to American Sector where they had a chicken and dumpling dish on the menu which was sort of like grandma's chicken soup - just the thing to "treat" my cold. When I arrived, American Sector was closed for some reason, so I made my way to Domenica in the Roosevelt Hotel. I sat at the bar and lamented to the bartender about closure of their sister restaurant and missing that needed soup-like chicken & dumpling dish to cure my ills. I ordered something else and a few minutes later out comes this young chef from the kitchen with a smile on his face, carrying a large bowl of soupy chicken and dumplings he had concocted in the kitchen. That was my most memorable NOLA meal of the past few years.