We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best louisiana craft beer to try?

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
best louisiana craft beer to try?

hello!

still planning our trip to new orleans..was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on local craft beers to try? we're not really mixed drink people and were hoping for some suggestions on microbrews to try. i'm all about the sweet porters and stouts and the occasional fruity beer as long as it's sweet and not sour... and my boyfriend likes the blondes and reds so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

right now, we're looking forward to trying the turbodog, jockamo and amber abitas...we'd love some other brand suggestions of louisiana brews

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Here is a link to look at. Abita will have seasonal brews available by bottle, but most everywhere you go Abita will be on tap. Some people like Dixie beer, but its a little bitter for my liking.

www.ratebeer.com/BestInMyArea.asp…

NJ
Level Contributor
726 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

NOLA beer. Comes in Blonde and something else, darker. Not everyone has it, but I always had it in Bulldog in Garden District

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Abita Turbodog is a great dark brown ale. Their Purple Haze is brewed with raspberries, which may please your fruit beer palate. My personal favorites are their Pale Ale and Jockamo IPA, but those don't fit your wish list. Their Amber is a lovely beer, and available everywhere.

Lazy Magnolia in Mississippi makes a Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale that you may enjoy. It's on tap around town.

NOLA Brewing makes both a Blonde and a Brown, and a Seasonal Irish Channel Stout, which I have not tasted.

There is a also a Brewhouse on Decatur, but I haven't been there in many years, as I find their beer average at best (and I discovered Abita), so I can't recommend them. There is also national chain brewery on Poydras, but I can't recommend them either.

I'll wager you'll find some that you like from the first three breweries mentioned above.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

I agree, Lazy Magnolia is pretty tasty too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Abita is getting really big and can be found in more and more places across the country. They'll have your best selection; however, there are some small breweries with good stuff: NOLA Brewery, Lazy Magnolia, Bayou Teche, Heiner Brau, and Tin Roof are all good ones to try. I burned out on Abita of all kinds after about 5 years of drinking nothing but it (I know, boo hoo). I love NOLA Blonde, Brown, and 7th Street Wheat. Lazy Magnolia Indian Summer is also a fave. My husband lives for their Southern Pecan, but I'm allergic to the flavoring. Tin Roof Voodoo Bengal and Perfect Tin are good too. I'm not a fan of Bayou Teche beers, but I think they're worth a try for any fan of microbrews.

You'll have plenty to choose from!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Just adding Blackened Voodoo lager by Dixie Brewing.

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Keep any more comming! Heheh. We're going to be there for 6 nights, 7 days:) the pecan one sounds delish!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Hi Jessica - Many of the mini-marts, e.g. VooDoo Mart sell Abitas by the bottle and they have maybe 8-10 of the different flavors so you can try all the different ones for not too much $$. Also, Poppy's Time-Out (at the foot of Canal, on the river) has about as many Abitas, and other beers, on tap so once you find one you like, you can always stop there and buy a giant geaux cup full to wander with. Most bars in the FQ sell Abita Amber, Turbo Dog and Purple Haze (raspberry). My favorite is the Abita Restoration Ale - a nice warm IPA very tasty and have only found it in NOLA and Washington DC (of all places!) so it's a real treat for me.

Enjoy your trip!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

Check out the Turtle Bay bar on Decatur near Ursuline (next to Coops). They have a lot of different beers on tap, many of them local, or at least southern beers.

Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best louisiana craft beer to try?

There is also Parish Brewing Company thats relatively new. Their canebrake is pretty nice.

Hopitoulas by Nola is nice and

Andygator, Jockamo IPA and restoration pale ale by Abita are great.