We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

We are considering going to NOLA for a long weekend January 17 - 21 and I noticed the weekend we are going has these two parades.

What are these like are they worth seeing, any tips where to watch them from?

I have always wnated to see a Mardi Gras parade, but something always seems to get in the way. We are used to crowds and pretty open minded but craziness of the actually week leading up to actual Mardi Gras day may be a bit much. So I thought maybe going early in carnival season would be fun.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Krewe du Vieux is a parade that actually still rolls through the French Quarter. I read up on its origins a bit and it still has mules rather than trucks pulling the floats. It rolls down Decauter towards Canal and loops around to Bourbon. There are several Krewes that participate and the literature pretty much agrees that it is raunchy (adult oriented). That parade rolls at 6:30 and is followed by another. On Sunday the Little Rascal krewe parades in Metarie in the afternoon-more family friendly.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Will also be in NOLA during Krewe du Vieux weekend. Although I've been in New Orleans for the end of Carnival (Mardi Gras) during ten different years, and have been in for "Mardi Gras Lite" some years back, this will be my first Krewe du Vieux weekend. I'm also interested in any information from veteran parade watchers, and am particularly interested in any information on Krewe du Vieux Doo, the Krewe's open to the public party (ball).

I do know the parade uses small floats, as opposed to the large floats that carry dozens of riders, and that it parades with 2nd line type brass bands, as opposed to large marching bands. Here is the website:

http://www.kreweduvieux.org/

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

It sounds interesting. We are traveling there with an all adult group for a Parrot Head (Jimmy Buffett fans) event, so I dont' t hink any of us will be offended by a littel risque theme.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Krewe du Vieux is hands down the locals favorite!!

and it can get pretty raunchy.....

Costumes are encouraged as well as it will help to get more 'throws'!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Has anybody been to the post parade party? It seems to be open to all? just buy a ticket? Are costumes required? Thanks

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
418 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

Love the Krewe du Vieux! I suggest you wear some kind of makeshift costume (Bees, Kittens and Gorillas are popular). I think this is one of the most original and a really fun Parade, with a grassroots feel to it.

Plan to watch from Decatur St. Around Jackson Square is very popular. They tend to start late, from the Fauborg-Marigny, so don't think you're going to get to dinner before 9:00pm. Also, you won't be able to get out of the lower FrQtr during the Parade because the streets will be closed around Decatur, Royal and probably Toulouse. Watch from the Canal St side of Toulouse if you don't want to get stuck in the Qtr.

There are always lots of families with kids at this Parade. Although adult-themed, it is not over-the-top vulgar or dangerous.I think most of the naughty bits go over the kids' heads. The mule-drawn floats are very colorful and entertaining, so be sure to take your camera, and HAVE FUN!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

From my experience last year, if you can walk fast, it's possible to see it at least 3 times (I wanted to take both photos and video). I made my first watching point near the beginning of the parade and it wasn't the best. Second one was right on Frenchmen (I took shortcuts and got there before the parade) and that was definitely the best of the three in terms of visibility. Third was Decatur and that was way more crowded but not bad.

I loved it!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

What do people wear to the Krewe Du Vieux Doo? Costumes or formal wear?

Murray, Kentucky
Level Contributor
98 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

This will be our first parade in New Orleans. Extremely excited!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krewe du Vieux and Krewe Delusion

As a point of clarification, the Krewe du Vieux French Quarter route does not traverse Bourbon, but rather Royal Street, as per www.mardigrasparadeschedule.com/krewes/kdv/

I too will be there that weekend, and it will be my first parade. Again, I will consider myself lucky to garner one strand of beads.