We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday, October 201st, 2012 - Day 3

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

We were up at 5 am and out on the balcony with ccolor around 6 am. Soulcat joined us shortly thereafter…both Soulcat and Den were now contaminated with my Superbug so I fed them DayQuil in jiggers (only in New Orleans!) Cathyjp7 joined us around 9 am and we headed up to Pat’s for a drink before going to the Jazz Mass at St. Augustine’s. It was beautiful, and we had all intended to stay longer when I suddenly said “Okay guys, we’re outta here”. A beautiful little girl about 8 feet over got very sick and threw up a MAJOR heave. I could see it, and wanted to go before I could smell it! Cathy heard it (I think Den, ccolor and Soulcat were too into “Oh Happy Day” to notice!) So off we went to Bar Tonique to meet up with bcla and DH and wait for the 200th anniversary Treme Second Line to come down Rampart.

Bar Tonique was still closed, and we were all in need of a bathroom, so we found Dreamy Weenie on Rampart, across from Louis Armstrong park gates. What a lovely little place! Opened about 3 months ago, and Nasr (the owner) was as nice as he could be. So back to Bar Tonique, which finally opened. I don’t know if the girl there was just having a bad day, but she was very standoff-ish and surly (like we were putting her out of her way). The bar wasn’t ready (ice, lemons, whatnot) and she ignored us while she set up the bar. We finally ordered after about 5 minutes. Den, Soulcat, bcla, and I got Dark and Stormy’s for Rodent. They were bad. Cathy got a Corpse Reviver 2 which was so bad she didn’t drink it. Ccolor stuck to wine (kinda hard to screw that up) and I think bcla’s DH had a beer. They were the smart ones. It’s a quaint little bar, but both the service and drinks were poor. I may try it again (with a different bartender) but suffice to say—I’m in no rush to return!

Suddenly, we heard music and rushed out (leaving our drinks on the bar). The Second Line was…how can I say this…disappointing. The costumes and bands were great, but the entire thing passed by us in less than 5 minutes. They had made it out to be so huge. I turned to ccolor and said “Is that IT?!” I took a whopping 11 pictures and it was gone. So we headed back to the hotel and then down to the French Market to shop some. (slim pickings for me, but then, I hate to shop).

At 4 pm, we met up at EGN for our Meet and Greet. Joaquin, the manager, said he would host it for us, but I had apparently passed my superbug to him on Friday and he was off sick, so the wonderful owner, Juan, came to replace him, and gave us our favorite server, Kevin. We ended up with 13 people, including Skimmy21 and her friend, Melissa, Cathy and her partner, 2 of their friends, (Sarah and Melissa??? Someone correct me if I’m wrong!) hoodlumdandy, bcla and DH, and Den, Soulcat, ccolor and myself.

We stayed for 3 hours and ate, drank, laughed and just had an all-around great time!

At 7 pm, we headed back to the balcony where we carried on the party with more laughter and drinks until around 8:30 pm. I had re-medicated heavily and really couldn’t hold up anymore, so we all said our farewells until tomorrow, then Den and I took our nice hot LUSH baths (yes, we were still keeping our room at “meat locker” temps…maybe not so good considering our physical states!) and then I re-medicated again before finally going to bed around 10:30

Edited: 30 October 2012, 13:03
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

oops...Sunday was the 21st...can't edit a subject line, as the Flok knows all too well! =)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

That corn dog I had at Dreamy Weenie was absolutely deeee-licious! That place beats the Lucky Dog cart by miles and miles! So next time I want a hot dog when I'm in Nola I will definitely go back there for another corn dog. Great service, clean place, and good dogs! Can't beat that!!!!!

The Treme Second Line was short for sure. The most fun part of that for me was pulling over a bicycle cop and telling him that I had to get his picture because he was too good looking to pass up! He was very sweet about it too! First time I've ever pulled a cop over : )

Bar Tonique is not high up on my list to try again either! I can make a better Dark and Stormy with a bottle of ginger beer and rum.

The meet and greet at El Gato was great! So many great people, good food, drinks, and lots of laughter! Thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and really had a blast!

Another fablous day was had in Nola with great weather too. Time just goes so fast when you're having fun!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

I'm sorry that Dark and Stormy was disappointing, but honored that you guys had it for me. Bar Tonique is hit and miss with me, I've had great visits there and average ones (not bad ones, though... yet?) It seems to be the case with a lot of places, it's so totally dependent on what staff you get.

This is just my opinion, but I really think the best way to experience a Second Line is to walk it. I've never tried standing and watching it, so I can't *really* compare, but it does seem to be a rather "do" than "watch" thing, if you know what I mean.

Weren't you guys supposed to meet at KCK's condo? I see no mention of her, nor of Diver Drew, so finally curiosity is taking the better of me and I have to ask - were they there?

Den, I want to see that picture of the cop!!! :)

Thank you for all the great reports, Herm. As you know, I really couldn't reply (and in some cases even read) till today, so I'm feasting on them today. :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

Rodent...coz we had so many people and a M&G at 4, it was kinda hard to walk the 2nd Line like we did last Halloween, which was a ton of fun. But I swear, from first photo to last photo--it was less than 5 minutes...

KCK got stuck in Jersey and couldn't come. Drew ended up with the stomach flu and got stuck in his room (and NO, I actually didn't contaminate him!:)

I'll send you the pic of the cop in an e-mail!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

Rodent--KC was trapped in New Jersey and couldn't make the trip to Nola. She was missed and toasted many times though! As for Drew he got the stomach flu and was confined to his hotel room for two days. Needless to say we didn't get to see either of them : (

I promise I will email you a picture of my cop! He was just so sweet about it too.

We did walk for a bit in the second line but it really wasn't as big as they told us it would be. Oh well. It was still fun to watch and be a part of.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

OMG, you weren't kidding when you said he was good looking. :)

So sorry to read KCK couldn't make it and Drew was sick. :(

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

Yeah, we missed out on all the Sunday Treme festivities and meeting up with everyone. Although it sounds like all we would have accomplished is trading the superbug for the stomach flu. Nasty. I'll post an abbreviated trip report of some fun things we did before I became room-bound.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

I hope it wasn't another andouille sausage that got him (DD)....that poor guy! I guess it's a good thing KCK/herDH and us got there later; it seems as though there was a lot of sickness all around....even in that church. Deny, whenever you get a chance, I'd like to see that cop, too :).

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

No problem Lili. I will send my cop to you too :) And you were missed Drew!!!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday, October 201st, 2012 – Day 3

Oh now I definitely have to see this pic of the cop! I'm a sucker for a man in uniform. :)