We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

…yahoo.com/news/…

I didn't see New Orleans on the list, but maybe I missed it!

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
718 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
950 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
131 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
456 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

nope, lynch...don't think you missed it! This is great, but you know by next week we're gonna see this same question asked over and over and over...I can't even bring myself to answer it anymore!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

This make me feel like a fool. Here I am sticking my money in my shoe when I arrive in NOLA, turns out it is nowhere in the list of dangerous cities and my own home town is on the list! Guess I better start turning on my alarm system or better yet, move to a safer city - like New Orleans!!! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

jimjade, its still a good idea to at least keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

You can be in the smallest town that exist, if you're visiting, always be smart. With that said, New Orleans is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

It's a bit confusing, though, as on the bottom there is a link to another ranking, this time "50 most dangerous cities in the world", and they have New Orleans at #21 there, highest of all cities in the States (the first 20 are all in Latin America). Apparently, this one is based on murder per 100,000 people.

???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

I saw that, too, Rodent. So wonder which we are to believe? I've known for a few years that Juarez, MX, was one of, if not the most, dangerous city in the world.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

So the bottom line is always be aware and be safe no matter where you go.

You have to wonder if the advice to "be careful" made a difference ....

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

LOVED your answer, jimjade! LOL!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

jimjade, I love your answer too!! I also despise these most dangerous cities lists because I think they are total BS. I grew up in Springfield, IL, home of Abe Lincoln, and now live just 10 minutes outside. Last year, Spriingfield was listed as the 3rd most dangerous city in the US, and there was even a notation that women should not travel alone to Springfield. The residents of Springfield were flabbergasted at this ridiculous rating, and our Mayor even commented that they (I think it was Forbes magazine that posted it), must have some personal vendetta against us. I honestly cannot remember the last time there was a murder in Springfield that was not drug or domestic violence related. There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to be afraid to visit here. We have one small pocket of town, like most towns do, where most locals would not go, and would not have any reason to go to. We have some nice hotels and the usual restaurants, and quite frequently our area is listed as one of the most reasonably priced areas to buy a home. We have a beautiful lake which is popular with boaters. We are just an average town with the issues that most towns are dealing with - mostly budget issues, not violence! Actually, the only reason why anyone would visit here would be for the Lincoln sites, and I am proud to say that our Lincoln Presidential Museum is by far the best museum I have ever been in, so if you are ever in this area, please stop and visit and don't be afraid of crime. After you have visited the Lincoln sites, your biggest danger would be dying of boredom in this city, not violence!!

I see that this year we have dropped down considerably, but given the fact that I doubt if we should even be in the top 5,000 most dangerous cities, it is still a ridiculous listing. I also hate it that St. Louis is listed there. We live just 100 miles from St. Louis and we visit there frequently, and take all of our grandkids there every year for weekend vacations. The problem with these lists is that they scare people away from visiting. Yes, I'm sure that St. Louis has crime problems - but as long as you aren't in some iffy area trying to buy drugs, it is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. The Arch is fun to go up, the Soulard neighborhood has beautiful homes and a lot of restaurants and bars, the downtown area has a lot of places to visit including Lacledes Landing, and they also have City Museum which isn't really a museum but the most amazing climbing, exploring, having fun place that you can imagine (fun for kids and adults). They also have the Science Center, Busch Stadium where you can see the Cardinals play, the Edward Jones Dome where you can see the Rams play, a professional hockey team, the Fox Theatre with Broadway productions, etc. It is a wonderful city to visit and I really hate it that people will be afraid to visit there because they think it is too dangerous. We took our 4 year old granddaughter there just three weeks ago and we walked around downtown at night and never felt the slightest bit uneasy. If you are ever in the area and want to visit St. Louis, please do not be scared away by these ridiculous rankings!!!

OK, I'm done ranting.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For everyone who keeps asking if New Orleans is safe

great rant, jlr...having lived just outside St. Louis on the east side of the river, being there many, many times and having visited Springfield, I find that list ridiculous. Like you said, EVERY city has it's pockets that no one with any sense should venture into (story about Boston...when we were in our 20's, four of us went to Boston and around 2 am, went into the area known as "The Combat Zone". We didn't realize it was the worst section. All we really got were strange looks from people on the street--wondering why 4 girls in their 20's were so happily walking and laughing at 2 am in "their" section". Looking back, it was kinda funny, but now we're a touch more careful with learning about areas we wander into...altho we did the same in DC in our 30's!)

Edited: 04 November 2012, 15:16