We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

I just returned from my first trip to NOLA. I was accompanied by tge hubs and adult children (oxymoron?). They are 20, 23 & 26.

We arrived on Halloween and walked Bourbon. Wasn't on my bucket list, but is now.

My main goal was to eat good food, as much as I could. Everything else was secondary.

Best breakfast/brunch was Brennan's. If I have to choose one of each it would be Old Coffee Pot/Brennas's.

Best lunch - Muffaletta's from Central Grocery.

Best dinner - Boucherie.

Best bread pudding - Commander's Palace.

Best Mimosa - Old Coffee Pot

Best Pimm's Cup - Boucherie

Best Hurricane - Pat O'Brian's

Biggest disappointment - Cafe du Monde. I guess fried dough buried in sugar is not my thing.

Seriously good food.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

Seriously good food is right! And that can be a problem; there is so much good food, that one sometimes gets torn, revisiting a favorite or trying new places? What to do, what to do? All of life should be so complicated.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

"My main goal was to eat good food, as much as I could. Everything else was secondary." Now that's a person with a mission. :)

I'm curious about the Pimm's Cup at Boucherie. I've tried a few different place, and I still haven't found a place that beats Napolean's. Did you try theirs?

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

I did not try the Pimm's Cup at Napoleon's. The one at Boucherie had muddled cucumber in it. My favorite drink when I go to Mexico is a cucumber mojito.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

I am so happy to hear from you! So did you like it in general?

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

I did! I thought Bourbon street was fun to experience. We walked it on Halloween, and everyone should do that once, and we walked it a bit again on Sunday night. People are so incredibly friendly. I loved the French Quarter. There were many things I didn't get to do and places I didn't get to eat, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to go back.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

Are you going to do a TR?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

Actran, I'm so glad you liked Boucherie! I keep recommending it to people and each time I do, I have this feeling... almost like introducing a future spouse to my parents (hey, exaggerating... a little bit ;) ). The "What if they don't like it?" factor is always there and I know I'd be deeply disappointed if they didn't.

Last time I was there, someone was celebrating a birthday and within seconds of noticing that I knew: I know where I want to celebrate my birthday next year. =)

Porelly, I've had both and prefer Boucherie's by far. Not that the one at Napoleon's is bad, but I prefer Boucherie's. It's frothy on top and this is what it looks like:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Boucherie is also tied for my favourite Dark and Stormy (tied with SoBou) and my favourite Bloody Mary (tied with Molly's at the Market and Liuzza's by the Tracks). Haven't yet got that far in getting my September pictures ready to show you their Dark and Stormy, but here's a Bloody Mary from May:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

And then, of course, there is the food. :)

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

Melissa - I will do a trip report on my blog -

www. iberostarrocks.wordpress.com

But I must finish my current trip report to Mexico and then the trip I took to So Dakota. So it will be a bit before I get to NOLA.

Rodent - really, really liked Boucherie. Two of my guys got the dark and stormy there and really liked it.

It's kind of hard when you start at the best though, so my rec would be to eat there last.

To be clear though, there were no bad meals. Other than the beignets. If I never had them again, it'll be ok. (was that a gasp I just heard?)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

No gasp from me, I'm not that fond of them myself. =)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best foods (1st NOLA trip)

I'm gasping, ha! I've never heard anyone in my lifetime say they didn't like beignet's! And I'm not a sweets person. But I guess its just such a long time tradition for most who've loved New Orleans since their childhood.

Your other restaurant choices sound great, however!