We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Day Plans

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation Day Plans

Hi, we [dad & dd21] plan on spending one of our days in NOLA seeing some of the Plantations Louisiana has to offer. Here's what I was thinking.

Leave NOLA @ 8am, arrive at Evergreen around 9am, do 930am tour. Be back on the road around 1130am, do Laura 12pm tour, back on the road, around 145pm stop at Oak Alley for some pics. Head up to Nottoway hopefully be there around 3pm, and was thinking as already would have done 2 plantations tours that day, to instead to the self walking tours of the grounds. Nottoway looks so pretty and picturesque, even though it's furthur out I didn't want to miss it. Be back in city around 530-6pm.

Unless there's other things to do out there other than Plantations, something quirky? I know there's the swamp tours, but we're here in December, so its not really the season :(

What do you think?

Obviously we'll pick lunch up somewhere along the way, I've read rec's for B&C and Hymel's but not sure if we'll have enough time to stop and eat.

Thoughts? Do-able? Too Rushed?

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,313 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
French QuarTour Kids
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Ernie's Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
That Other Tour
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Anybody? :(

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation Day Plans

I admire your tenacity. We have enjoyed plantation country on last 3 trips to NOLA. We have rented cars for two of our trips and did a tour on our first trip. You will probably be moving at a very quick pace and not allowing yourself much time. Our tour at Evergreen lasted about an hour and depending on the size of the tour group could be more/less. The tours at both Laura and Evergreen are very interesting. The Houmas House is IMO the most beautiful grounds and it is maybe a little closer to the other plantations than Nottoway. A local poster can tell you that for sure.Oak Ally is a perfect photo op. We ate at BC restaurant and the food was really quite good and our server Sierra was so funny and welcoming.I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy it as much as we do.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,313 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Hi emma, I have been to Laura, Oak Alley, and Nottoway. I think you would really be missing out by doing just the self walking tour of the grounds. Nottoway, in my opinion, is the most grandiose, elaborate of the plantations that I have been in. If you are walking around outside, I'm sure you will be thinking "I wish we were going inside!". But....I have never been to Evergreen and it looks absolutely gorgeous! Obviously you can't do them all so I guess you will just have to pick and choose. You will also want to figure in time at the gift shops at each place - although they have a lot of knick-knacky stuff, they also have some interesting books pertaining to the plantations.

Please be sure to check the website for each place you decide to visit to make sure they don't have reduced hours during Christmas. Also I see that Evergreen accepts cash and checks only.

Have a great trip to New Orleans and vicinity!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
2,387 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Have a mint julep and sip in a rocking chair on the porch of Oak Alley.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Thanks guys, I liked the look of Nottoway, it looks really impressive. The only reason I thought to visit the grounds only, as most of the plantations cost around $20 or so, and it all adds up. Maybe I'll knock out either Evergreen or Laura.

Maybe instead do Laura and Nottoway as there more opposites of each other, at least in design, and do a drive by of Oak Alley.

I've never had a mint julep, but just had my first peppermint hot chocolate of the season today!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation Day Plans

I would definitely keep Laura on your list as it is different from the others.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Quick Question for you guys about Oak Alley:

I see from looking at their map www.oakalleyplantation.com/Mapfullsized.png the alley of oaks is within side the grounds to see it, do people just pull up on the road, get out the car and take a photo? Literally a drive by.

Also if i wanted to take lollygal's suggestion up on a Mint Julep can you get in without paying admission, as we don't want the tour?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantation Day Plans

We parked on the side of the road and took pictures of the oaks and house.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Don't drop Laura from your list. The guides are really good and the history is fascinating.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
2,387 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plantation Day Plans

Laura is a MUST DO. It has the slave house and it an unbelievable experience.

Laura and Oak on opposite ends of Hwy 18...not far from each other. I would do Laura then have lunch :

B&C Seafood 225-265-8356 Great gumbo!

2155 Highway 18

Vacherie, LA 70090-5405.

Mentioned in this post
Vacherie
Vacherie
480 Reviews
New Orleans, LA