We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 musts

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
4 musts

So I am undecided between the PDA or Hotel Provincial and have now started researching some restaraunts. Having 4 days and 4 nights I would like to know the 4 breakfast, lunch and dinner must eat places. I am looking forward to eating some great creole and cajun food. My husband is a big steak eater where I love seafood but we compromise. We love to eat so any and all suggestions welcomed. I already have a list I just want to see if it makes your list. TIA

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,801 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 musts

For a good offering of both Cajun and steak, Bon Ton Cafe is great for either lunch or dinner, but it's only open Monday through Friday.

I'm a pretty big eater. But, based on experience, it's difficult to consume three full meals a day in New Orleans. Proper traditional full sit down meals are large, and are also quite time consuming. You might want to consider one large full meal, a lighter but interesting meal, and an elaborate snack each day.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 musts

Mom--For breakfast it HAS to be Red Gravy for that Polpetta Omlette! That is so to die for I can't even describe how good it is!!!!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 musts

If I had 4 days (and, like Loop sid, if it was possible to eat 3 times a day) this is what I'd choose:

Breakfast would be Red Gravy (Polpetta omelet or two!), Stanley's (eggs benedict po boy), Vacherie's (eggs benedict), and Cafe Soule (MORE eggs benedict)!

Lunch... would be Yo Mama's (for a peanut butter burger and football sized baked potato,fully loaded), Verti Marte (All That Jazz with WOW sauce) New Orleans School of Cooking (Gumbo and Jambalaya!!! Homemade pralines--best in the city!) and Chartres House Cafe (fried catfish that melts in your mouth).

Dinner (if I could POSSIBLY eat that much!) would be El Gato Negro (amazing grilled rib-eye steaks AND seafood with a Mexican twist) Irene's Cuisine for phenomenal Italian/Creole (chicken Rosemarino...and CHEESECAKE!), Fiorella's for fried chicken , mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese, and Jagerhaus, for German food (can't get enough of those potato pancakes and spaetzels, brautwurst and hot pretzels!!!)

I'm not a big eater (I prefer most of my meals liquid in NOLA) and there's NO WAY I could POSSIBLY eat all that...but man, if I could...I would!!!!!

P.S. Hotel Provincial gets my unsolicited vote! :)

Edited: 13 November 2012, 17:08
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 musts

Breakfast--Old Coffee Pot, Red Gravy, Camillia Grille (FQ), Stanley

Lunch-BonTon Cafe, Praline Connection, Johnnys po-boys, ElGatoNegro

Dinner-Muriel's, Pelican Club, K-Pauls, Vacherie, .....Dickie Brennans, NOLA for altertnates.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 musts

My take:

I'd suggest

One upscale meal--Commander's Palace, Stella, Bayona, August, Cochon.

One weekday upscale lunch--Commander's Palace, Mr B's, Bayona, Antoine's

One upscale weekend brunch--Antoine's, Commander's Palace, Brennan's

One modern Cajun restaurant--Cochon, Vacherie's, Brigtsen

One Po-Boy--Parkway, Johnny's

One muffaleta--Butcher, Napoleon House, Central Grocery, Frank's

Breakfast at both Crescent D'Or and Cafe Du Monde (or Cafe Beignet--but get the beignets at least once)

Other meals, I'd fill in with smaller meals where convenient-- at bars--on Frenchmen St, at the Hermes Bar, at the Grapevine, at an oyster bar, at Acme, at Camellia Grill, or at American Sector if at the WWII museum, or on Oak St if Uptown, or on Magazine St if out that way.

Oh, and I agree, you can't really do 3 full meals.

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 musts

I am sad to hear about not being able to eat 3 meals as there are so many restaraunts that look soooooo good. I had Red Gray, The Old Coffee Pot, Muriels, Oceana, Jaque-Imos, Dick and Jenny's just to name a few thats why I wanted the must do"s. I know everyone has different tastes. We like fine dining everyonce in a while but we are just as happy sitting at a bar at happy hour. Thanks for the suggestions.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 musts

My choices would be:

Breakfast -

Clover Grill

Johnny's

Red Gravy

Daisy Dukes

Lunch -

Camellia Grill

Napoleon House

Dinner -

Praline Connection

Yo Mama's

Clover Grill (burgers cooked under a hubcap)

Port O' Call

Muriel's has a wonderful jazz brunch on Sundays.

I agree with the others, it is hard to eat 3 meals a day. Usually, we are later getting up on vacation, and so have a later breakfast and then aren't ready to eat at lunch time, so have a snack (beignets at Cafe duMonde), and then eat again at dinner time.

Have a great time!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 musts

watch the "Kitchen Nightmares" episode on Oceana's....you'll be able to cross it off your list then!!!

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 musts

Oh no whats Kitchen's Nightmares......gonna google it now.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 musts

Oh yeah Mom...take Oceana's off your list! Besides the food ain't that good. We tried it once. Once was enough!