We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts on tours for..

Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Any thoughts on tours for..

Air boat rides?? Coming into town the first weekend in December. Have some people from Canada and California coming in to meet us. Both couples are wanting to go on an airboat swamp ride. Not the first thing I think of when headed to NOLA, but trying to work it out for them! I've found many tour companies that will come to our French Quarter hotel and pick us up for the 3-5 hour tour. Curious if anyone knows if some are better then others? If one place is better then another??

Also, any recommendations for limo companies from the airport? They're wanting actual limo, not town car...

Thanks for any help!!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

There are a couple of different types of "swamp tours" near New Orleans. One type is on a pontoon boat and the other on an airboat. You will need to do the research to see which best fits your desires in this regard.

For pontoon boats, go to the "Tours" section of Slidell, LA, in Trip Advisor.

For airboats, go to the "Tours" section in both Lafitte, LA, and MarreroLA.

For both, go to the "Tours" section in LaPlace, LA.

There are lots of reviews there for you to read to help you make up your mind. Also look under "Tours" in New Orleans and you will find lots of tour companies that will provide transportation, but you will probably end up on one of the swamps listed above.  The concierge at your hotel can also arrange the tours.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

Airboat Adventures is AWESOME! Hopefully, it won't be too cold! They pick you up at your hotel, as well!

There are many limo services...just google one. They are all governed by the Taxicab Bureau, so you shouldn't have any problem with service. Make sure they are local.

Hope you have a wonderful time in our city!

There are also carriage rides & trolley tours as well as walking tours...just a few suggestions.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

We took an Airboat Adventures tour in November (www.airboatadventures.com) and it was really good. They picked us up from our hotel and took us to Lafitte for the tour. We really enjoyed the tour although we knew we wouldn't see any large gators due to the temperature. If you're going in December it will be cold on the water and you probably won't see what you're expecting. The guides do offer a lot of information that you probably won't find anywhere else. We enjoyed seeing and hearing the history of the bayou. The airboats really do go fast so you will feel the chill as you're cruising along the bayou.

Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

Thanks all!! Sounds like the friends I'm booking for are looking airboat (speed) not swamp tour! Guess they'll dress warmly! (Coming from Canada, hope they're good!) :). If they're dressed appropriately is it worth going in Dec??

Thanks again!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

Personally I wouldn't do the airboat tour in December. As much as I enjoyed it. I'm from Canada so know all about cold, but I really don't think you're guests will get the most out of this tour at that time of year. I'd save it for warmer temperatures and you'll get to see a lot more wildlife.

6. Re: Any thoughts on tours for..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:16