We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

Staying at 910 Iberville St in 3rd week of December, should we rent a car or taxi?

Want to go to the Celebration of Oak and Aquarium, need car? Any other fun activities for 3 yr old boy? He loves trains and fire trucks. What about family friendly places to eat in the French Quarter?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k584117…

Please open and read through the thread above.  It will answer many of your questions about kid-friendly activities in New Orleans.  If you then have further specific questions, please let us know.

Definitely do NOT rent a car. Taxis are relatively cheap, and there are pedicabs in the French Quarter which your son might like. Also give him a few bucks and take him to the flea market area of the French Market and let him buy a couple of little things for himself.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

Considering the daily fee for car rental, and $20-40 a night parking in the French Quarter, you can pay for a lot of taxicab, streetcar and bus fare. I wouldn't rent a car if staying at Courtyard Iberville.

Many of the activities of interest to children, including the Aquarium and the shuttle pickup point for Mardi Gras World, are located close to where Canal St. meets the River. You can board the Canal Streetcar within a block of Iberville and take it close to the River. The intersecting Riverfront streetcar line will take you up and down the River bank, including stops for Jackson Square and French Market. If you will be boarding more than twice in a day, you can get a $3 daypass good for unlimited bus and streetcar use when you first board that day. Some portions of the Canal streetcar line are under construction, but there are buses running over those portions in place of the streetcars. The Algiers Ferry also boards close to the intersection of Canal St. and the River; the 30 minute round trip is free for pedestrians.

You can take the Canal streetcar in the opposite direction to City Park for Celebration of the Oaks; take the streetcars marked "CityPark/Museum". You might want to take a cab back, or if your young one is impatient, a cab there. A cab ride for two will probably cost around $15 each way.

Deanie's is a nice and very family friendly restaurant located less than a block from Courtyard Iberville. Maybe a little heavy on the fried seafood for my particular taste, but its nice, fun and pretty good. Redfish Grill, one of my faves, is another family friendly choice close by.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

You could entertain your kid for hours and get a great tour yourself by riding the various streetcars. My two-year-old daughter loves riding the "train" every time we visit the city, and I do, too!.

Also, the Children's Museum is a lot of fun for the young ones -- although the downstairs attractions are getting a bit tired, in my opinion. Admission is free on the third Sunday of each month, if you'll be there on Sunday: https:/…community-events.

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

While cabs in NO are relatively inexpensive they add up quickly. Look at all the things you want to do that would require a cab, add in the cab fare from the airport and back (which is usually around $80 total with tip) and we have found that a rental car is actually much cheaper many times then a cab.

My daughter would be content to ride the street car from Canal through GD and Uptown and back every day. Loves it.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

Another question when considering cab vs. car rental is are you bringing a car seat? When my kids were 3, I wasn't ready to have them not use one in a taxi, but I didn't want to lug a seat around all day, so rental cars worked a little better. We could then also leverage the car to go to stuff around town and further out like the swamps, plantation homes, etc.

We've found New Orleans to be very kid friendly; some of the fancier restaurants we took our then-toddlers to include Commander's Palace, Tujaques, Arnaud's, Muriel's and Nola. Muriel's even has kids meals and crayons. Arnaud's gives them a balloon.

Our kids favorite activities at that age were running around Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde, the free Algiers ferry, carriage rides, street car rides. We didn't get into the Zoo, Aquarium, Mardi Gras World, Children's Museum until they were a little older. We did Celebration in the Oaks and loved it, but our daughter tired out relatively early.

For Christmas activities, the kids loved the decorations in the hotel lobbies at the Royal Sonesta, Monteleone, and Roosevelt. Also, Miracle on Fulton Street over by Harrah's has falling snow every hour starting at 5pm with nice decorations.

Lastly, we've used Dependable kid care several times for babysitting on trips when we've had the kids with us so we could have a night out.

Have fun!

6. Re: 3 days with 3 year old - rental car? things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 06:16