We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans During The Weeks Leading Up To Mardi Gras

Springfield MO
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans During The Weeks Leading Up To Mardi Gras

I'm wondering what New Orleans, specifically the quarter is like during the weeks and weekends leading up to Mardi Gras. My husband and I have taken many trips to New Orleans but have never been during the Carnival season. We like to party and some craziness but aren't interested in the full intensity of Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). When we go we love to enjoy the food, drinks, and general culture of the city. Are restaurants open to full capacity about 3 weeks before Fat Tuesday? I'm considering January 17th - 21st or the following weekend, January 24th to 28th. I notice in looking at the parade schedule for 2013, the first parade, Krewe Du Vieux is on Sat. January 19th. Like I said, we like some craziness but want to enjoy the sites and food also.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans During The Weeks Leading Up To Mardi Gras

We went two years ago on the Thursday morning just prior to Mardi Gras and left on Saturday morning. It was our second visit to NOLA, the previous one having been during Advent, if I recall correctly.

Our visit in 2011 was great! We stayed in the CBD, within easy walking distance of the Quarter and really enjoyed ourselves. Not too crazy. We walked down Bourbon Street a number of times (maybe in the evenings that was a little more than I would normally want to see/do), dipped into clubs for music and a drink, stood for fabulous parades, saw street bands form and play (increasing in numbers each day we were there) and attended a performance at Preservation Hall in the VIP seats (check that out- it's worth it!).

We are not crazy, get drunk kind of people at all. We just enjoy different cultures and immersing ourselves into our travels. We loved every minute of that trip and are planning on going back next month, from the 24th to the 27th. As you said, parades are definitely rolling with great frequency that weekend and we can't wait!

I suggest you check out MardiGrasNewOrleans.com if you haven't already, then book yourself a hotel in the Garden District or CBD so you can be in easy striking distance of the biggest action but still get away for more quiet times.

2. Re: New Orleans During The Weeks Leading Up To Mardi Gras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:15
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now