We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
528 reviews
Save Topic
Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

We had a great long weekend in New Orleans! We headed to Alexandria after work last Fri and then Sat morning some friends met us and we headed on into New Orleans.

We stopped at Crabby Jacks in Jefferson on the way in for fried shrimp (very good) and cochon de lait poboys-tender and juicy but a little too saucy and sweet for us with a side of so so macncheese but really good fries. This place was packed so we sat outside where there are 2 tables against the building on the edge of the parking lot.

On to the Inn on St Ann, first time to stay here, lobby wasn't special but our 2nd floor double queen room was large with 15+ft ceilings a huge closet and nice sized bathroom with beautiful floors and good bedding/beds. Friends were across the street in Marie Levaux cottages facing the courtyard in a small but well prices queen room-also lovely. Staff were friendly the entire stay. We moved to the balcony suite after our first 2 nights and the private balcony on St Ann was fantastic, the room was quite large with a full living room, again with the 15ft+ ceilings and 3 huge windows. We'd stay here again happily.

On to Lafittes for hurricanes and frozen purple adult slushy-yummy. Walked through the Market and down Decatur, the FQ was hopping, stopped in for a couple of beers and then to El Gato Negro for delicious magaritas. Tipsy and tired we needed a rest. Dinner at Melange in the Marigny was disappointing-my cocktail was too strong to be tasty, cheese board and bread were great, cream cheese crab cake entree was good but no sides and 2 crab cakes isn't really an entre to me, hubs shrimp and grits were lifeless and bland-we skipped dessert. Walked around the Marigny a bit and there's a handmade market Thurs-Sunday which had neat stuff, bought a cool leather cuff then on to Lafittes for more drinks and on to Mae Bailey's for more drinks-see a theme, this will be a problem tomorrow!

Sunday, up later than planned for a FQ walk, stopped through Croissant D'or for a snack then walked more, drug hubs out of bed to get dressed to meet friends at Coops for lunch. I know some folks don't like their service-we've always had pretty good to really good service, not fancy by any means but we really like their food and prices are great! Had fried crab stuffed peppers, shared bowl of gumbo-love it! Hubs had fried chicken, I had shrimp and fried grits-rich and fabulous, friends shared shrimp and fried grits and shared the peppers and had some hair of the dog via bloody mary! On to shop a bit along Decatur then to MRB to meet Sjcal28 and her hubs, fun chatting then hubs and I headed to an art fair in a park at Claiborne and Carrolton-then stuck in football traffic on way back to rest a bit. Dinner at Acme was good, I really like their Peachmaker poboy! Fries with gravy and cheese were good but soooo salty, shrimp poboys and the roast beef and ham poboys were well liked too. On to Kerry's Irish pub but too full to drink, walked around and back to Mae Bailey's for more drinks and some Cougars were hitting on our hubs while they sat at bar to watch tv-funny! Walking down Bourbon and run into Sjcal28 and her hubs and we all head to Lafittes-many hurricanes were drunk as well as frozen egg nogs-not by me, I'm done for the night! We called it quits a little before 2am.

Monday our friends had to leave by 8am, we slept longer, I headed out for a walk and a biscuit at Johnnys and was kind enough to bring hubs one back. Dressed and on to Confedaracy of Cruisers for the culinary bike tour-LOVED it! Started in Marigny up to Lil Dizzy's for fried chicken and french bread-nice crust and very juicy. On to Liuzza's by the Track where I had a gumbo religious experience-I think I heard the Angels sing! Spicy and perfect-much love! We also shared the bbq shrimp poboy which was a mess of greatness but glad we shared as I'm getting full! On to Parkway for roast beef poboy and rum cake-we've been here twice before and love it! Biked to and thru City Park and the oaks were lovely! Last stop at Morning Call for fantastic cocoa and beignets-seriously good stuff! Biked back, walked a bit and rested a while. Not hungry until about 10pm so Verti Marte here we come for chicken strips, lasagna, baked macnchees (oh my) and au gratin potatoes-how do you not love this place?!?! Early night for us!

Tuesday, up and to Rouses for chilled sparkling wine and on to Surrey's for fresh OJ, french toast, side of bacon for me-yum, hubs had biscuits and gravy with eggs. Walked-crooked since tipsy- along Marigny then drove further down and shopped more then drove down even further to check out more of it. Shopped Jackson Sq and Royal a while then time to rest. Headed to Mandinas for dinner-full of locals so we're excited but I just found it ok, crab finders were pretty good but more of a butter sauce than wine sauce as listed, good fried shrimp were plentiful but fries were frozen and terrible, hubs got steak-I knew this was a mistake but whatever, he liked it well enough, I found it overcooked and bland as could be! Walked around a bit and on to Angelo Brocato for gelato-yum, the BEST praline gelato ever!

Wednesday, up early to walk around, pick up Croissant D'or to bring home, picked up some candy from Southern Candy makers and headed home.

Notice we missed Red Gravy, I didn't realized they're closed on Tuesday!!!!! Hangover on Sunday and late start Monday put me behind but SJcal28 and I both had Red Gravy plans for Tuesday until I looked at the website and found they're closed. I can't believe I missed Red Gravy this trip-I wanted to try the fried chicken and had been thinking about those Red Velvet pancakes since last December!!

Time just flies in New Orleans, we never get to see and do and eat all that we want or plan but like everyone says, just a reason to keep coming back!

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

I am so happy you had a good time!!

I really want to go at Christmas Time. Did you see decorations and lights?

Thanks, Melissa

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

This is our 5th December trip in about 7-8 years and it's our favorite time to go. The decorations in the FQ are great, I forgot to add that we drove around to check the Celebration in the Oaks lights out Tues night and they were lovely and looks like it would be fun to go in. Houses all around are decorated! Last year we did a Garden District charity home tour, this year we wanted to do the FQ patio charity tour but missed it. We missed the Jackson Sq caroling too, I just forgot!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,085 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Time in New Orleans is funny. When I am there, it feels slow, like I have all the time in the world. Then when the trip is over, it seems like it all went by in a flash.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Thanks for sharing...but now I'm homesick AND hungry!

Liuzzas BTT gumbo keeps us coming back for more...and the paneed chicken po-boy is pretty sweet as well!

I've put my foot down that we WILL be at Mandina's on a Thursday during our next trip for the Bruccialone (d*mn Sara Roahen and her "Gumbo Tales"), but I'll warn the DH about the fries :)

LOVE Angelo Brocato's and Croissant D'Or!

Inn on St. Anne...have to check it out....thanks for the info!

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Time sure does go fast - I wish we hadn't missed out on the bike tour! And I'm still bummed about Red Gravy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Glad you had such a good time Aggie! Yeah that is a funny thing about time in New Orleans...you feel like you have sooooo much time then you blink and it's gone. It is too bad you guys missed out on Red Gravy...just another excuse to go back : )

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,553 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Nice read. I think we'll do the culinary cruisers tour next time as it sounds like a blast. DW should probably start training for that one. Did you have Cassidy as the guide?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

What a great trip report! Verti Marte! Oh how I miss thee.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

Sounds like another great trip. Txs for sharing. 9 months and 18 days for me.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why does time go so fast in New Orleans?!?!?!

We went for the first time at Christmas this year ( I think we missed you by a week). The decorations were wonderful and it was a great way to get " in the spirit".

Thanks for taking the tie to share.

Happy Holidays!