We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

What are some of the places we can take our kids along to enjoy the music scene in NO ( that are not too pricey ). Would much appreciate your suggestions!

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Definitely Preservation Hall - www.preservationhall.com

Note that if this is your first visit to NOLA, it may look sort of scary on the outside, but it's definitely worth a visit. We skipped it our 1st visit and regretted that after enjoying the music of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band on our second visit (hint- if you can afford it, try for Big Shot Seats.)

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

If you are in New Orleans on a Thursday night, you might want to take them to Rock and Bowl. They will hear zydeco music and you can bowl at the same time! It is a great place for a family to hear music.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Preservation Hall. Not exactly cheap but it's great, pure music with no drinking.

Meridian
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Crescent City Brewhouse has a jazz band that plays most evenings... maybe during the day too. I cant really remember. They arent what I would call cheap but they have some moderate menu items. I have gone there with my 8 yr old and she thought it was fun.

And while I dont think you can go wrong with Preservation Hall, I would take them down Royal Street in the afternoon. There are typically 2 or 3 bands spread down Royal on weekends that play a variety of styles. Usually you can get a seat on the steps of the Supreme Court building and listen to some pretty good bands. When my daughter is with us thats always a must.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Both the Market Cafe and the Gazebo Cafe on Decatur, going towards the French market, have live music daily and children are welcomed as they are restaurants. But you can just buy a beverage to sit and listen.

You'll also find music in Jackson Square in addition to Royal St.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

The New Orleans Jazz National Historic Park has FREE programs thoughout the week; for a schedule for the then current month, see:

www.nps.gov/jazz/planyourvisit/events.htm

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Legends Park on Bourbon across from the Royal Sonesta has the Cafe Beignet and usually a Dixieland band playing on weekends, as well as the other places suggested.

If you are in town for Sunday Brunch, you might like Buffa's on Esplanade/Burgundy...a very local, casual; place with a Dixieland band on Sunday . from 11:00-2:00, good, inexpensive food, ($7-12) and mimosas ($3) and bloody mary's ($4) for the adults. Enter on the Burgundy side door and get there @10:45 to be sure and get a table.

texas
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

Went to Market Cafe last week and enjoyed the music while having our po boys on the patio.

9. Re: Kid safe places to enjoy the NO music scene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17