We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Here's my twitter address for additional photos: https://twitter.com/Soulcatt I don't believe you need an account to view my tweets or to link to the photos.

Not sure how far I'll get with this while I'm still here, but here goes. we left just prior to 7am and before I even got out of the fine state of Alabama (cough, cough) an unmarked (as far as I could tell) police car clocked me at 85 and gave me a ticket. Do ya think I was the only person doing 85 on that stretch of highway? Once that was over we made it to New Orleans without incident, but since our check in time wasn't until 3pm we decided to drive to Katie's in Mid City and take advantage of a Groupon I had purchased. Man, was that place jumping! We ended up sharing a bowl of their andouille sausage and chicken gumbo and a Cuban sandwich that we subbed the usual potato chip side for sweet potato fries ($2.50 upcharge) We were both glad we didn't order a whole sandwich each, not because it wasn't good, because it WAS, Boy was it GOOD!, but it was very filling. It was also very hot and fresh tasting. You could tell it had just been made. The gumbo was very good- not the best I've ever had, but pretty decent gumbo. The most interesting thing about our time there is that shortly after our arrival D asked me if that was James Carville sitting just behind and across from me. After a glance I said, Boy, it sure looks like him. Now I don't know if he heard us talking, but when he got up to leave he stopped for a moment and shook D's hand.

Once lunch was done, I thought it might be nice to get some dessert, so we headed to Angelo Brocato. I had espresso with 3 different biscotti and D chose some pistachio ice cream to go with his espresso. The ladies that work there are so patient as the people are trying to decide on their choices. By the time we finished it was getting close to 2 pm so we decided to head to the hotel and also look for a parking spot which we found less than a block away. Yay! Another Yay for the fact that I got the room I had requested at the Inn on Ursulines. Back story: The room was purchased as an Amazon Local deal and while I had requested a specific room, I was told that with the Amazon Local deal they couldn't guarantee it and I had just said, "do what you can." So Thumbs up to the Inn on Ursulines. Btw, right not it's 11:30 pm and I can't hear anything from outside our room. I'll update that later if any changes occur. While the room is pretty utilitarian, it's very clean iand the king sized bed is extremely comfortable. No coffee maker, but they do keep coffee in the hotel lobby. After unpacking, we toured the Ursuline Convent, walked around a bit and then headed to Frenchmen to see Tom McDermott on piano at Three Muses. They had some $4 appetizer specials and we chose the blue cheese stuffed bacon wrapped dates which were sooo good that the 5 that came with the order was just plain mean. I also told D that the lamb sliders were great and he totally agreed. I'm not a big fan of lamb, but their sliders are my exception. After our snack we headed back to our car and on to the Ogden Museum of Southern Art for Caroline Herrings after hours concert. Wow, sounds so simple when I just write it like that, but unfortunately my iPhone GPS didn't know about all the construction going on and I wasn't familiar enough with that area of town to get us there quickly. We did thankfully, finallly make it there only about 15 minutes after the concert was to have started. D said I should have just told him that it was across from the WWII museum and he would have known where to go.

Ms. Herring's singing was absolutely beautiful and since she writes mostly about actual historical events in the South, I also learned a little. Check her out if you can. That was my second Ogden concert and if you've never been they do them most every Thursday at 6pm. Afterwards we headed back towards the FQ to park the car and use another Groupon for dinner. Alas, a near to the hotel parking spot was not to be found so after driving around and around we ended up parking in the Treme near St. Augustine. Let's hope that fairs well. Next we walked to Melange on Chartres in the Marigny and had a magnificent dinner. I started with a Dark and Stormy which believe it or not was my first and only alcoholic beverage of the day. Very well made too. Dinner for D was Caesar salad followed by \ Tuna Tchoupitoulas-

Grilled Yellowfin Tuna Loin, Creamy Braised Leeks, Slow Roasted Roma Tomato, Roasted Game and Veal Jus, while I had the Tomato and Seafood Bisque soup of the day followed by Duck Dauphine- Seared Duck Breast With Blue Cheese Pecan Risotto Served Over a Golden Beet Carpaccio and Aged Sherry And Honey

Gastrique . We didn't leave a drop on any of our plates and he service was top rate. Our first day was capped off with a visit to Cafe Envie and a cup of Columbian dark roast. Now to bed- I can hear Stanley's calling me to breakfast.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Beyond jealous...you ARE coming back in October, right??

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Too bad about that speeding ticket Kitty. Been there and done that on a beautiful stretch of Texas highway. Luckily I had slowed down to 80 MPH just as he clocked me. Oh well. I should have know better since I was so close to the Mexican Boarder. I paid cuz I was guilty!

Nice that you got the room you requested at the Inn too! Hopefully the car will be fine over in Treme. You'll have to let us know. Hopefully you'll find a closer spot today!

Sounds like you've been having a great time so far! I can't wait to read more! XOXO to you and D!

Edited: 04 January 2013, 13:37
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Great report, Soulcat. Thanks for the info on Katie's as it is on my to do list. Can't wait to read the rest.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

hey Kitty...also sorry to hear about the ticket. Some cops just "got no sense of Hee Haw"! :) At least that was the only incident (and you didn't get stuck in a traffic jam for 6 hours!) All sounds great so far! How's D liking NOLA?

So did you go to Stanley's this morning? What's the weather like???

More, more, more!!! Love to you both!

Vancouver, Wa
Level Contributor
640 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

The Cat with Soul is back in the Big Easy!

Can't wait to read more of your and D's adventures.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 21:15
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

A live trip report, woohoo!!!!!!

Did you tell the cop you were on the way to NOLA???? If he was one of us, he would have understood. :) Sounds like a great 1st day.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
623 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Really looking forward to your reports! Having withdrawal symptoms :(

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Wheeeee! Live trip reports! Thank you for sharing. I love your posts and photos. So much to do there....Wonder what you're up to now? :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,852 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

Gotta love those live TR's glad you are enjoying NOLA.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starting my Jan 3 to Jan 10 trip report

After several unscheduled changes of plans we ended up having a wonderful breakfast at Red Gravy. Tammy was our server and as usual did a wonderful job as well as being her usual quick witted self. Our Vera Blue was kind enough to step out of her kitchen for a moment to say hi to D and I. Now I know there have been lots of raves about her meatballs and her red gravy, but if you've never had her home fries you are really missing something. Both of our omelettes were fantastic which was obvious considering the absence of food on our plates.

After breakfast we walked to St Louis to use my tour for two Groupon at the Hermann-Grima house. I think our docent's name was Jenny. She was very personable, but more importantly was a wealth of information about the house and it's inhabitants. I've taken that tour previously and also the Mourning tour they give during October and still took away lots of new information this time. Everyone has different reasons that New Orleans is special, but learning the history of this culturally colorful town is part of what makes me love it so much. Once the tour was finished we headed toward Chartres and stopped at Napoleon House for a sazerac for myself and a tonic for D and then on to my favorite museum, the Pharmacy Museum. I was a little surprised when I was told that a guided tour was being given because on all previous trips only self guided tours were available. I asked if we could just do a self guided and was told that would be perfectly fine, but to be quite honest as we were looking at the artifacts and I was eavesdropping on what the guide was telling the tour group I had to admit he added quite a lot of information to what was already available. If you ever pass by this museum during the ridiculously small window of time that it's actually open (I believe that's Tuesday-Friday between 10am and 2pm) you really should go inside and learn about the strange and macabre customs of early medical pioneers. Great courtyard too!

Once we had our fill of weird medical trivia we headed toward Jackson Square and decided to check out the river which led to the idea of taking the ferry to Algier's Point and just wandered around. Such a pretty quaint area with so many architecturally interesting houses and buildings. I know that someone here has posted about Rosetree Glass studios and I'm so glad we ran across the place today. Such beautiful work, but alas some of my kitties find great pleasure in knocking things from tables, so no glass for me.

D was beginning to get an idea of how much I walk during me New Orleans visits and even though I told him we could take the Canal Streetcar back to Ursulines, he said it was fine for us to walk back. After a short break for me I headed toward Frenchmen to catch an act at Three Muses with plans to meet D at Sukho Thai later. Once there I gave a short listen from outside the club and decided this particular artist wasn't nearly as exciting as my You Tube sampling of her work had led me to believe, so I killed time by walking to the Treme to make sure my car was still safely parked. By the way, I had begun that morning by trying to find a closer parking spot and ending up parking it nearly back where I had it before.

Dinner at Sukho Thai was Pad Thai -Thin rice noodles pan-fried in a tamarind sauce with meat of your choice (chicken), egg, w/ fresh bean sprouts, green onion, peanut, lime for me and Kaffir Lime Curry - A very full-flavored spicy red curry seasoned with kaffir lime leaves, stir-fried with green beans, basil, bell pepper, and choice of meat.(chicken) for D. His was spicy and delicious for him and mine was not nearly as spicy, but that was just fine with me. Dessert was a walk to The Orange Couch for Vietnamese Iced Coffee and a Mochi each. Mochi is ice cream wrapped in a rice confection. I had pistachio and D had chocolate chip strawberry.

Afterwards a walk down Frenchmen netted me more drawings from a very interesting artist I first encountered last May, as well as a walk through the evening artists market before heading back to the FQ and stopping by Greg's Antiques where I picked up another mounted bug for my collection if 3 can be called a collection. Back at the hotel we stopped in the lobby for coffee and Carrie the really sweet and personable front desk lady told me that I should check out The Grapevine on Orleans Ave. Has anyone been there?

Having an early night tonight, so hopefully we can be up and out early tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the wonderful comments!