We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans in May

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans in May

My wife and I are planning an anniversary trip for our first anniversary. I've been to New Orleans several times, but it has always been for an event (New Years Eve, Mardi Gras, Sugar Bowl), and as a result the French Quarter has always been packed to the gills.

We are planning our trip for May 10th- May 13th. I am curious of the intensity of the crowds in the French Quarter (and the city) for these dates. If i get a hotel in the french quarter will it be possible to get in and out with a vehicle during the day and the evening?

Also, should i go ahead and book my hotel room or wait. I've seen elsewhere in these forums mentions that hotel rates will decrease as summer approaches.In my breif research everything looks nearly booked already.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans in May

When people say that "hotel prices will decrease as summer approaches", they simply mean that the further one gets inti the hot humid NO summers, the cheaper the hotel rooms. On your partIcular weekend, the prices will normally stay the same for an extended period of time. In other words, go ahead and get your hotel now before there are even less rooms available.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans in May

Mid May is very popular because of typically very good weather. Although there are no particular large events or festivals, graduations (Tulane 5/18, Loyola 5/11) and conferences/conventions (no schedule published yet) can drive up hotel rates. I would guess that the best time to book will be 75-90 days in advance, but that's just a guess. If you can get something you like that is fully refundable, best to book that now as a backup, then continue to shop over the next couple months.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 23:44
Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans in May

You're not going to see great hotel rates until min June. They will decrease from mid May on but they wont hit rock bottom late June-early Sept.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans in May

Due to the nice weather hotel demand is high in May plus it has become a popular convention month also and that can bring in thousands upon thousands...and the notorious flok fest has been then also.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans in May

: ) Cajun

San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans in May

Try the website www.neworleans.com - we are staying the week of May 7 -14. There are some great rates - even for hotels right in the French Quarter. The hotel -Dauphine Orleans was one of them.

SD

7. Re: New Orleans in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:16