We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Parades

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Parades

I set up a trip this year without even looking at what was occurring. As it so happens, we will be getting in Saturday afternoon before Easter. I understand that there are THREE Easter Parades in the FQ, including the Gay Parade late in the afternoon. Are there any of the parades or parade elements that are "not miss"? Anything else happening on Easter that we should know about?

Last year we arrived the evening of Easter Sunday. We checked into the front desk at Hotel St Marie and then went to catch an elevator. As it so happens, a "couple" from the Gay Parade were already waiting for the elevator. The gentleman was tall and refined, with a white suit and hat reminiscent of the "Old South". The "lady" was quite over-the-top outrageous, with lots of make-up and loads of jewelry and big ole hat to match a very loud dress. We struck up a conversation, and I think that the "lady" was having a bit of fun with us Missouri hicks.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Parades

We'll be there that weekend too and I've never been for Easter so I am hoping to catch all 3 parades. That leaves the difficulty of where and when to have brunch so as not to miss anything. I hope some experienced Easter folks can give us some tips. Love the elevator story! So much fun! I watched a couple youtube videos of the parades, looks like we'll need some standout hats. :)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Parades

There's only been 2 the past few years, both in the Quarter. The 3rd used to be in the Garden District. The Chris Owen one is the 1st, right after lunchtime, and the gay parade is later in the afternoon, around 3-4pm.

I've seen them both twice, and enjoyed them. They are not huge like MG parades, but are still fun and lots of beads.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Parades

Thanx for the feedback. Should be a good day in the French Quarter, as always. We also plan to head to Breaux Bridge for a couple of days on this trip, if anyone has any thoughts on that.

Georgia
Level Contributor
371 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Parades

Usually there is a parade around 9-9:30am down Bourbon to St Louis Cathedral. It is the local social ladies with fabulous hats.

5. Re: Easter Parades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:18