We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Hi

We are coming over from England and touring round the south for two weeks. We will be staying in New Orleans for two nights in March. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a great Swamp tour? I have already looked on the activities on here but has anyone got any suggestions please?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Scope--Before I answer your question, that is one fine looking puppy! Looks big and adorable for sure! Now to answer your question Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour would be the one I would recommend. The Honey Island swamp is beautiful and the tour company does pick ups and drop offs in the Quarter too. Of all of the swamps I've been to that is still my favorite of all! Hope you have a great time in Nola!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

For us Dr. Wagners Honey Island is the best and then the tour of the Manchac Swamp..I believe Cajun Pride does it.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Dr. Wagners Honey Island gets my vote

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Many thanks guys......... Dr Wagner's it is then!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Are you planning on doing a swamp tour via regular boat or airboat? I'd have to recommend the airboat. It was very fun. If you are interested, I'd recommend Airboat Adventures (http://www.airboatadventures.com). They will pick you up from your hotel as well, and the drive out there isn't too long. I have been twice, once in October and once in May. Both times were very fun. Also, check out their online coupons, we saved about $10 each time, just mention it when you make your reservations, I didn't even need to present it when we got there.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

On the other hand, I recommend against Airboat Adventures because of their propensity to feed marshmallows to the alligators, thus turning them into Disneyesque trained animals. Alligators are wild animals and should be respected as such. Find a tour that does so.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

I'm not an alligator expert, but I wonder how much is known about the long term effects of feeding sugary marshmallows to alligators and other swamp wildlife such as raccoons. Just because they'll eat it doesn't mean it's good for them. The current childhood diabetes epidemic should speak to that.

Okay, back to the topic at hand: I've only been to Manchac, but with all the Honey Island recommendations, I'm certainly going to check it out next.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

Lessee, Airboat Adventures runs up to five tours a day during peak season. If I remember correctly, they have at least half-a-dozen big boats, plus a couple of smaller ones. They don't all have their "own" alligator. Instead, up to three boats per tour may feed the very same alligator. That is up to 15 feedings of marshmallows per day for some gators. That can't be good.

Alligators are very primitive animals. They pretty much sit around until they are hungry, then they go find something to eat. The feeding of marshmallows clearly disrupts this cycle by making them lazy and by filling them up with junk food instead of alligator food, like fish.

Florida has laws against the feeding of alligators. The Airboat Adventures people claim that they can feed the gators because "they are on private land". It is not allowed on government reserves. Even gators in zoos are fed better than those in the Airboat Adventures area.

Even worse, other people are now beginning to feed marshmallows to alligators because they have seen it done or heard about it. This is making the gators unafraid of humans, and that is simply not good when they are often just a few feet off of walking trails.

We can't blame the gators, can we? Instead, we have to once again blame stupid humans who evidently care not a bit about allowing wild animals to be.....wild.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

If I were coming from England and only had 2 night in NO, I would stay in the FQ for both nights, embrace the city and not venture out. There is more than enough to do there to occupy two days (and more).

We didn't go on a swamp tour until about our 10th visit.

If you are certain you want to go on a swamp tour (which will take a half a day, ((6 hours)), Dr. Wagner's Honey Island tour is the one.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best swamp tour?.... help needed please

If you have the time, drive out to Breaux Bridge, LA, and take a swamp tour there.