We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Events in March and May...

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Events in March and May...

Hi all...

We still don't know yet if we'll be visiting in March or May! (Something is still up in the air right now, arg!!)

Anyway, I'm checking for the big crowd events, something we'd like to avoid for a first time visit, and I'm seeing there's a Tennessee Williams festival (I'll need to google that name) March 20-24th, and in May there's the Jazz Fest that ends on May 5th.

I also remember reading here that while quite warm in May, the oppressive heat and mugginess is more in July and August? I'll be bringing my extra asthma meds with me regardless.

Also I read the animals are more active in May than March if we go on a swamp tour?

Anyway, if you know of any other crowded event during those months... :) Looking forward to Gumbo!!

Thank you for your time! :)

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Gumbo Shop
Gumbo Shop
3,761 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Events in March and May...

May is not as bad as July and August, but don't kid yourself, it can get very warm in May. You will see animals in March and May, no problems. The TW literary festival is a fairly small event, relatively speaking, that doesn't have a big impact. Jazz Fest on the other hand is the second largest event after Mardi Gars, although French Quarter Festival in April is rapidly catching up. But that's only the first weekend of May. Asthma meds are a good thing to have here regardless of the season - there is always something growing here.

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,441 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,278 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Events in March and May...

March of course has St. Patricks Weekend, that gets very busy, but some great parades thru the Quarter.

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Events in March and May...

Thanks for the reality check... and yeah, I always carry an inhaler, and get additional advice from my doctor.

It's really the humidity that's a concern. I live in So. Cal, and we had a very hot (90 degrees plus) summer last year with an unusual amount of humidity for our area, (which I handled pretty well). However, I hear it doesn't compare to the South! So I suppose it could be one of life's adventures to experience Gulf Coast humidity? Ha ha! ;-)

If we go in May, we'd be going soon after Jazz Fest for sure!

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Events in March and May...

Goodness! Hadn't thought of St. Patty's Day! Yeah, that would be a party day!

Thanks! :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Events in March and May...

It is humid here year-round (there is 87% humidity as I type this), and during the warm months, it can be quite oppressive. My ideal retirement plan involves leaving New Orleans for someplace cooler right after Jazz Fest and not coming back until October.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Events in March and May...

"Hadn't thought of St. Patty's Day!"

Ack! No such thing. :)

http://paddynotpatty.com/

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Events in March and May...

Okay, so St. Patty is in my Aunt Patty is soooo nice she's a saint!

St. Paddy as in "don't want to get so drunk I end up in a Paddy Wagon!" Ya?

:)

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Events in March and May...

Hmmmm... might be pushing for March then! Yipes!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,278 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Events in March and May...

We have done St. Patricks Day celebration in the Quarter for several years now. Great fun, but not quite as crazy as Madi Gras!

Seminole, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Events in March and May...

Spring is festival season in New Orleans. There will be crowds in the Quarter no matter when you go...365 days a year/ 24 hours/day 7 days/week. Whenever the weather is better is when the crowds come. It is a beautiful city and the tourists are actually a part of the charm. They pay for the horse & buggy rides that locals can't afford, but that make the city look "old".

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana