We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas outside of New Orleans?

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Areas outside of New Orleans?

Hi,

I was curious...

Are there any B&Bs that are outside of New Orleans that are romantic? I'm looking at a map of the general area and seeing some interesting places like Galliano, Grand Isle, Laplace, Jean Lafitte National Park etc. etc.

Are these little towns or just swamps with tons of mosquitoes? (Do want to take a swamp tour though!)

I've also heard of Plantation tours? Are there little towns with B&Bs near the old plantations? Are these little towns generally safe or are we talking "Deliverance" and scary?

Zoiks! Sorry to be soooo completely clueless, but are there some areas worth exploring outside of New Orleans? Where do the folks who LIVE in New Orleans go for a local weekend getaway?

What's Baton Rouge like?

Thanks!!! :)

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas outside of New Orleans?

Hi Podo, we have stayed at the Victoria Inn in the town of Jean Lafitte several times, and it is/was a beautiful, romantic b&b. I say was because I am not sure that they reopened after Hurricane Rita which hit their area pretty bad. The town of Jean Lafitte didn't have much to do at all, but the area is interesting to look at with the old fishing boats, etc.

The plantation tours are interesting but if you go on a tour you won't be exploring any towns, just going to the plantations. One of the plantations, Oak Alley, offers overnight accommodations, but you would need your own vehicle if you want to do that.

There are some areas to explore that are within 3 hours or so of New Orleans. Lafayette has a lot of Cajun history; or go the other direction and visit Biloxi. Or, go to Natchez Mississippi and see the plantations, many with overnight accommodations. Natchez has more remaining plantations than any other place in the US. It is a beautiful little town to visit.

Others will probably chime in with more ideas.

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas outside of New Orleans?

You might also enjoy the area around Houma....plantations, fishing boats, etc.

3. Re: Areas outside of New Orleans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:17