We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Hello all,

It looks like there's a 2pm parade in the French Quarter this Sunday 1/27. I've never been to a Mardi Gras parade and need assistance please. For reference, we are staying at the JW Marriott checking in Sunday night. Will we EVEN be able to get to the hotel or will Canal Street be a cluster... you know what?!?!

What is some advice on seeing the parade?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Grenoble House
Grenoble House
#1 of 169 hotels in New Orleans
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans
#2 of 169 hotels in New Orleans
Henry Howard Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel
#3 of 169 hotels in New Orleans
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

ok, just to be clear, Krewe of Barkus is a marching parade of dogs and their people. It is not the fancy floats that you see on TV (none of those go into the French Quarter although they do pass down Canal St).

You'll be fine if there is not a regular parade on Sunday night (I don't think there is).

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,441 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
AR
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Krewe of Barkus loses animals and people as they meander through the Quarter. If you do decide to go, I suggest you walk down Rampart to just past Armstrong Park and watch the parade or part of it, in its full glory there. It is fun...the dogs are dressed up, some ride in carriages, some of the people are dressed up, too. It is also fun to go through the park as they are getting ready to parade...lots of venders, people milling about, excited animals.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Husker--This thread about the Barkus Parade might help you too! I would love to see this one! Hope you have a lot of fun!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k604786…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Barkus is fun but, as others have said, is crowded and tends to break apart after a few blocks. I believe they limit it to 1500 dogs. Yes, 1500. It's a lot of canine activity in Armstrong Park! My dogs can't handle so much excitement so they have to stay home.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

So basically, will we be able to see ANY fancy floats or gaudy things when they walk down Canal St on this Sunday 1/27 or Monday 1/28? They said the Krewe of Barkus parade doesn't start until 2pm at the French Quarter? What if we arrive to the hotel around that time? Will we be able to park and hopefully get a spot to watch something?

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,441 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Is there a link to a web cam for the barkus parade? I'd love to watch the pooches from a far. Won't be back to NOLA until July :(

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

We would have seen it if the Jackson Square webcam was working, but it seems to have gone down again. I checked the route, and they will be going up st Peter St, so we should see them on the Earh cam, which is located at teh corner of St Peter and Bourbon.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,904 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Do you happen to have a link for that, Porelly?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

earthcam.com/usa/…

Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krewe of Barkus this Sunday 1/27

Thanks Porelly! Watching it now but too many people in my way, can't see too much :(