We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good bars for live blues?

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Topic
Good bars for live blues?

Will be in New Orleans for a conference and would love to explore blues clubs in the evenings. Where are the best places to go? Can I just walk down Bourbon Street and find blues bars? Anything within walking distance of the Windsor Court Hotel? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,609 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good bars for live blues?

You can take a look at the music calendar at www.offbeat.com for your evenings and seen who is playing, what type of music and where.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good bars for live blues?

Funky Pirate at 727 Bourbon Street is a great place for Blues.

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good bars for live blues?

Thur -Sun. at Chris Owens Club...Rooster and the Chickenhawks...Blues, old RnB and early rock...Thur and Sun, 7:00-until...Fri./Sat,. 6:00-9:00. Sometimes they substitute Wed. for Thur depending on the conventions/# of people in town.

-Funky Pirate-Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band will soon be on their schedule.(probably Sun. evenings) They are great. Also you might like Big Al and Mark Pentone at Funky Pirate.

-The late band at Sing Sing is usually blues. All three clubs are on Bourbon.

Those are the only three live blues places on Bourbon right now.

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good bars for live blues?

Thanks for the suggestions!

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good bars for live blues?

OOPS! forgot one...Balcony Music Club on Decatur (at Esplanade). I particularly like Lil Red and Big Bad when they are there.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good bars for live blues?

if you want a "locals favorite," try Frenchmen Street in the quarter....authentic local music and food

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good bars for live blues?

I like Frenchmen Street and always recommend that new visitors check it out, but the OP specifically asked about Blues and most of the music on Frenchmen is not Blues.

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good bars for live blues?

Thanks again for the recommendations!

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good bars for live blues?

Frenchmen is not blues and it is not in the Quarter.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good bars for live blues?

I was on Frenchmen last Friday night. The Apple Barrel features blues. At the Cafe Negril, there was band, whose name I've forgotten, played some blues. There are blues on Frenchmen.