We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

Is it even worth trying? Is it even safe? I think it would be fun to take a boat ride on the Mississippi River. But would he like it? Not sure what options are available. And no clue at all about prices, pick-up point, etc.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

If you are referring to the Steamboat Natchez, I have never taken it with a toddler, although I have been on it. I did do basically the same thing in Chattanooga with my then 2 year old and he enjoyed it, but I was pretty much chasing him around the entire time so I did not have much fun myself. I think the general consensus is that this takes up a good 2 hours of your day and you don't see much, but if you want to experience being on a steamboat, it isn't bad.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

Is it even worth trying? Yes.

Is it even safe? Absolutely.

I would suggest taking a 'sample ride' on the Algiers Ferry across the river first. It departs every 1/2 hour from the foot of Canal Street. You can get a taste of the river for FREE!

Then, if you liked that and want to go longer/further check out the Natchez Steamboat.

http://www.steamboatnatchez.com/

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

I'm thinking the child would get bored pretty quickly. As pyxie said, you'll probably end up chasing him around. I would take the Algiers ferry instead as gumbo suggested.

If you want to take a longer ride, as going to Algiers only takes about 5 minutes, there's the ferry to Gretna which would be close to an hour return.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

Depending on the child, he or she may very well enjoy the Natchez cruise. They have a calliope that may amuse the child. The paddlewheel in back could be of interest. There will be barges passing by that may be of interest. The captain will have a narrative that you can expand on. You could explain to him or her why there are levees. There is a good chance that he or she will enjoy it. There is a snack bar for ice cream, etc.

There is no "pick up". You go down to the boat and buy your ticket and then you will board at the appropriate time. Kids like boats, and this may be a chance to ride on a big one.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

husker, you're a brave and loving dad! As others have noted, I would say that the three-yr.-old would become restless on a two or three hour Mississippi cruise. The Algiers Ferry is a better choice. Sorry, watsup, but I don't believe a child that age would appreciate information about levees and/or barges.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

Exactly!!!! Watsup have you ever had any kiddos? The Algiers ferry sounds good. What exactly does that sort of ferry do when it gets to its destination? Just go back to New Orleans? Plus you say it's free? Where will one pick it up on Canal from the JW Marriott? Thanks all!

Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

I took my 3 year old on the Natchez and she loved it.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,895 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

For information on the Canal St./Algiers ferry, see:

http://www.friendsoftheferry.org/

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

As usual, Loopwhole has delivered valuable info. As a reference point (@ here landmarks are often used in giving directions, such as "Turn left when you get to the tree that was struck by lightning..." :), upon exiting the JW, go right on the Canal Street sidewalk and continue toward the river. The ferry boarding area will be near The Riverwalk Marketplace and The Hilton Riverside Hotel. The ferry provides no activity other than sightseeing while going back and forth.....Algiers is a quiet, pretty community that I can only describe as "Mayberryish". My DH and I enjoyed strolling around there one morning but I don't think a youngster would find it very entertaining. However, if you happen to get there @ time for eating, there's The Dry Dock Cafe and Tout de Suite (a coffee shop / eatery).

One other thing, husker, we were on a city tour last year and while going through the City Park, we noticed there's a children's section, I believe called Storyland, that looked like an ideal place for a young child to have a little fun. The park is accessible from The Quarter via bus and/or streetcar.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mississippi Cruise with a toddler?

No need to be so snarky in your response, husker. Yes, i have had children of that age and they were curious about many things. As JDMountains said, ther are indeed three-year-olds who enjoy the sights and sounds associated with the Natchez riverboat. Do what you want, but I do not appreciate your response when I was only giving an honest opinion.