We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

Planning a trip in May and have reservations at the Place, but some of the reviews are steering me to the Omni. I have stayed at the Ritz and Bourbon Orleans, and would like to stay somewhere different. Thanks!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

I have visited rooms in both hotels, but have not stayed at either one. Both hotels are very well located. For what I like to do while in New Orleans, Omni Royal Orleans offers the best hotel location in the City. However, some prefer the location of Place d'Armes. Best location for you would depend on the particular activities you intend to pursue.

Omni Royal Orleans is a rather large "full service" hotel with all the typical amenities such as pool bar, inhouse restaurant and bar, sundry shop, etc. Place d'Armes is a smaller "boutique" lacking such amenities, but there are many shops, restaurants and bars very close by. The furnishings and finishes at ORO are somewhat more luxurious. Both hotels are "NewOreanish", but PDA would be the more NewOrleanish of the two.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

Loopwhole explained it perfectly. Another plus to the PDA is the gorgeous courtyard. Perfect place to have coffee in the am, an afternoon drink before going out again, or a nightcap to finish off the day.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

If I had my choice I would stay at the Omni.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

If you stay at the Omni, I'd recommend against their smallest rooms which are very tight. My fav rooms at Omni are 6th floor (for best view and least street noise), outside room facing St Louis or Royal streets, away from the elevator, non-connecting room (as connecting doors are not sound sealed).

AR
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

The rooftop pool area/bar/workout center and observation deck at the OMNI is really nice...offers a full view of the French Quarter/river/ CBD while having a drink and/or sitting by the pool after a workout.

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

Thanks everyone! I have a street balcony at the Place and would also like a balcony at the Omni. We would like to be in the vacinity of Frenchmen Street, as we have never been there.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans has street balcony rooms, see:

omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/NewOrleansRoyalOrl…

Place d'Armes is 3 short blocks closer to the Frenchmen St. entertainment area, but that area is walkable from both.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

We always end up picking the Place D'armes...and we do use the courtyard for having snacks and in the evening many a bottle of wine has been consumed at one of the tables in the courtyard.

Dothan, Alabama
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

I have both hotels booked with balcony, probably will go with the Omni. The rooftop deck is calling my name! I have a couple of months to cancel one reservations, so I will sleep on it for awhile. Now to start deciding what tours to take. I think we will skip the swamp tours, as my husband hunts gators in Alabama and Geogia. In the past, I have enjoyed the walking ghost tours and cemetery tours, but can't remember the name of the tours. Thanks for all the help!

10. Re: Place D'Armes or Omni Royal Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 07:18