We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

Hi

I can't wait for our upcoming spring break trip to NOLA. I haven't been back in 17 years. This time, I am traveling with my husband and 11 year old child for four nights.

Here are my plans. Let me know if you think I should include anything else or if I should skip some of these things.

Monday: Day 1: Arrive in the afternoon. Get taxi to Sheraton Hotel. Check into a Club Level room. Go for appetizers/snacks at Club Level. Walk to the French Quarter in the early evening. Look at shops in the quarter. Eat dinner at Napolean House. Go to Cafe Beignet for beignets or Cafe Du Monde.

Tuesday Day 2: Have breakfast at the hotel club level. Catch street car to the Zoo. Have lunch at Audubon Golf Club. Relax at hotel outdoor pool in the afternoon. Go for appetizers at the hotel club level. Go to dinner at Deanies. See a music show at Snug Harbor.

Wednesday Day 3. Breakfast at hotel club level. Get Sandwiches at Verti Marte (they deliver). River Plantation Tour picks us up at hotel at 12:30. (pack sandwiches, snacks). Dinner at Palm Court for dining and hearing music.

4. Thursday: Club level breakfast, 10:00 a.m.m go to New Orleans School of Cooking Demonstration (lunch there). In the afternoon go to Mardi Gras World. Hotel in late afternoon to relax around pool, appetizers at hotel club level. Nawlins Cookery for dinner. Creole Creamery for ice cream dessert.

Thanks for those that can give me some advice as to my plans, which I am willing to change if you think I should try other venues for a family.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
660 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

I think your plans look good. You've included family friendly outings for your child plus some adult entertainment. Our family really enjoyed the zoo and Mardi Gras World on our trips. You can always give up some pool time and explore the Quarter some more if your so inclined or tour the Garden District. Typically visitors don't spend a lot of time at the pool as there are so many things to do.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

I would substitute something else for Nawlins Cookery - you can do better. Note that Creole Creamery is pretty far Uptown from the Quarter just to go for dessert. If you're going to travel that far, you might want to have dinner somewhere like Upperline or Crepe Nanou, which are just across the parking lot from CC.

You may wish to be aware that, beginning next month, the streetcar won't run all the way to the zoo. Above Jefferson Ave., you'll get a free transfer to a bus that will take you the rest of the way to the park, where you can catch the zoo shuttle or just walk through the park if you like.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

Thank you very much for your advice. I think we will skip The Creole Creamery for dessert based on the location.

Please help me with a substitute for Nawlins Cookery. I would rather go somewhere which you think I could do better. We want casual/not too expensive. Also, like to walk to restaurant from hotel. Another one I considered was Cafe Maspero but I really just don't know so I need the advice.

What do you think is the best way for us to go to the zoo? We don't have to go on the street car. Is there a bus directly there from our hotel ion Canal or should we just get a can?

Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

I meant should we just get a cab to the zoo? Or is there a direct bus? Also, how do you use the bus? Do you just pay when you get on? Or do you have to buy bus tickets in advance?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
660 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

I like Acme Oyster House. Their fried catfish is great not to mention the oysters and it is a very casual restaurant. I'll have to defer to Hwy for transportation to the zoo; I always have my car for transportation or I use the streetcar.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

Thank you. I have been to Acme on several other trips a long time ago as well as Felix. I agree food is great.

I am also considering Three Muses for the small plates and live music.

Thanks for your replies!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

Cabs are the fastest way, but you can also use the Magazine St. bus, which lets you off at the front of the zoo and near the golf clubhouse. Bus and streetcar fares are the same. You can pay when you get on (1.25 exact change) or buy a pass:

http://www.norta.com/fares_passes/index.html

Everyone has their favorite casual places in/near the Quarter so others may chime in. As a local not living/working in that part of the city, I don't eat in the Quarter much and when I do I'm usually looking for something more than casual, so I'll defer to others. If you put "casual eats" and "cheap eats" in the search box above, you'll pull up numerous suggestions.

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

You can still catch the streetcar and ride it as far as Jefferson, you will recieve a transfer to the bus which (in most cases) is waiting right there for you. The city is repairing some of the streetcar lines and that is why it won't go beyond Jefferson for a while. I imagine the 11 year old might enjoy riding the oldest operating streetcar line in America. The bus will let you off in front of Audubon Park...you can then wander through the park to the zoo entrance, if it is a nice day. It is a beautiful old park with huge trees and lined with outstanding old homes. Or, if you prefer, there is a shuttle from near the bus stop to the zoo entrance. You could then use the Magazine bus to return to Canal St. That way you would see both famous streets.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,276 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

As relates to transportation to the zoo, I would take the Magazine St. bus which stops on Canal St at Magazine St., less than a block from your hotel, to the Zoo, then, if time allows, take the St. Charles streetcar back to Canal St. (although the bus is quicker). To get to the St. Charles streetcar stop from the Zoo, you can either take a Zoo courtesy van or walk through Audubon Park. The streetcar and bus both cost $1.25 per boarding (or to reverse from the end of a line), exact change required, which can be paid as you board the bus or streetcar. If you are going to be boarding a bus and/or streetcar more than twice that day, you can get a $3 per person day pass when you first board that day (also exact change). As skt points out, the streetcar ride is kind of a treat in itself. If there is streetcar track construction going on at the time, there will be bus service through the construction zone; no need to get a transfer ticket; if they see you getting off the bus/streetcar they will let you on the continuing other for free.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Family Spring Break Trip Plans/ Please Review!!!

You are right. We would like to take the street car. So, we will plan to do that.