We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans or Florida??

Tasmania
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans or Florida??

My husband and I are travelling from Australia to the US for a bit over 4 weeks in Oct/Nov this year... We're spending the first 2 weeks in the West, and then we've set aside about 6 nights each for the South & New York!

In the South we're tossing up on a short stop in New Orleans (maybe 2 nights), and then the remaining time in Florida? Or are we just trying to cram too much stuff in? Should we skip New Orleans, and just spend the extra time in Florida?

We don't have heaps of plans to Florida as yet (though I'm sure we'll find things to keep us occupied); some time in Miami, a day/night in Orlando to see the 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' and perhaps a visit to Key West are all we've really looked at at this stage!

We'd both love to see New Orleans, but I'm wondering if this is just too much, and would take time away from our other destinations?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

Don't miss New Orleans, even if you only have 2-3 days. It's like no other city. Stay in or near the French Quarter to be by the major attractions. The food, the music, and the culture keep me coming back & I rarely go back to the same places.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

New Orleans is a very small compact city and you can definitely enjoy two days here without having to drive. Orlando is sprawling. You might want to plan two days there. Miami is fun, especially if you speak Spanish.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

Anyone visiting from another country half way around the world should visit New Orleans. There's no place like it anywhere. Two nights would do it.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

I agree. Florida is actually a very boring State. If you've seen one tourist trap or so-so beach, you've seen em all. New Orleans is unique.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

Florida has always felt a bit sad to me. The few interesting old bits are mostly ignored, and the huge mall/fun park/destination are the same as everyplace else.

New Orleans though, it's a place all it's own. I can list a zillion great things that have already been listed, but I think it better to leave that to others. To me the sounds, smells, and vibe of this odd city make it like no other. And that is why we come here.

This place is your beloved rough around the edges drunkle, while Florida is a ponderous flashy show-off neighbor.

Cheers!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

In my mind, when I think of New Orleans compared to Florida, I think of the difference between real, alive and breathing versus plastic fantastic, with New Orleans being the real and alive. An over exaggeration of course, but it captures the essence and flavor of the differences.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from going to Florida, but I would unhesitatingly recommend any amount of time in New Orleans. Two nights would be great, given your itinerary, and previous recommendations regarding staying in the French Quarter are well worth considering.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

Very useful posts everyone! I was also wondering about this topic and I love your descriptive comparisons.

I will def be going to New Orleans now in May and we gonna do 3 nights and then spend some time exploring other Southern parts of Louisiana.

Avery Island sounds interesting for one and perhaps Lafayette.

I wonder what the beaches are like along that coastline?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

lewie11, you should also post in the Florida forum this question.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

Go to neworleansonline. com, then type in Christmas in the search box. That will pull up some of the many, varied Christmas 2012 activities...the Quarter is beautifully decorated , lots of the activities are free and it is great fun that lasts all month. I particularly enjoy the cooking demos and the French Quarter Tour of Homes that funds the candle lighting in Jackson Square.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
665 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans or Florida??

I agree with others on this topic. New Orleans is not to be missed! Give me the culture of New Orleans over the fakeness of the amusement parks any day.