We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Hello, everyone! I've missed being on here but have been swamped with schoolwork :( I'm excited, though--my husband and I are hoping to come to NOLA for his Spring Break (he's a teacher) in April and I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help out with:

*We would be there during the Freret St Festival and also the Old Algiers River Fest. I'd like to try to see both but is one a must-do over the other? Any ideas about when the 2012 performers and vendors will be listed?

*We definitely want to take the ferry to Algiers this trip because we hope to move to NOLA someday and want to see all of it. Should we make a different trip from the Old Algiers festival or will the vibe still be about the same? If we should make a different trip, would afternoon or morning be better?

*One website said the week we'll be there (first one in April) is Pyrate Week, with parades etc. Another site said Pirate Week was around the third weekend in April. Are these two separate events or is one of the websites wrong? If there are goings-ons the first week pirate-related, does anyone know which day the main parade is?

*We were wanting to wander the Garden District more this time--I've always done it aimlessly, and that was about a decade ago. Any streets/areas we should definitely hit?

*We're very interested in the Rebirth bike tour but I can't find what days it runs on their website, does anyone know? Also, any reviews on the restaurant they stop at in the middle of the tour? I think it is Cajun Joe's in the Lower 9th.

*I'd like to do a picnic and right now I'm leaning toward Audubon Park rather than City Park. The Fly part of Audubon didn't look hugely exciting to me though. Thoughts? Also, we might make it to the city in time to see Irvin Mayfield and Kermit Ruffins perform at Lafayette Square on the evening of the 3rd--is that something that people take picnics to?

*We'd like to see a lot more of the Treme. Is that something we should take a tour of or could we do it on our own?

*We would also like to see more of Southern LA/the bayou this trip. Any specific places/towns we should put on the list?

And, finally, does anyone know if the African tortoise takes a walk every day down Maple the way I've heard, and if it is indeed between 3 and 4 pm?

Thanks so much for any help you guys can give!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,412 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Wow, some great specific questions. I can only help with one. As relates to the Garden District, if you want to do it on your own, many seem to enjoy this self gui\ded tour:

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020034.html

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Keep in mind Lafayette Cemetery is only open 8-2:30 M-F, 8-noon on Saturday, closed Sunday. The Save Our Cemeteries tour is 10:30 AM Mon-Sat.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Take a look at this in city park....http://nolagondola.com/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

I would not really call Cajun Joe's a "restaurant". It's a po-boy shop, you buy stuff at the counter and even though there is one table inside, the guide will probably take the group to get their food in boxes and eat it on Ron's porch at House of Dance and Feathers. The po-boys are really good and so is the fried chicken.

When I took the Rebirth tour (which was a hear and a half ago, so things might have changed), it was running daily and they were thinking of making it twice a day. I'd say just call them to confirm that.

The gondola ride that Cajun mentions is a bit pricey but is pretty awesome. When in City Park, don't miss the Singing Oak as well. It's got huge windchimes all over it and it's just mesmerizing to stand there and let the music carry you far away. :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Old Algiers fest vs Freret St. fest is kinda 6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as food and entertainment are concerned. But if you have not been to Algiers before and have interest in looking at houses on the Point in addition to going to a fest, I'd go with Algiers fest for sure. Lists of vendors and performers for this year are up on both festivals' websites.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
207 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

I'll reply to the Lafayette square question- definately try to make it! Lots of fun, and free. You can not bring in your own food, but local restaurants sell food and drinks, and its a nice way to try out lots of tastes from different places.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Rodent, I'd eat a mayonnaise sandwich on Ron's porch and be happy as h*ll!

Shaking that man's hand has been on my bucket list ever since I read "Nine Lives"...can't wait for June to get here already...17 weeks!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Cerelife, you'll love Ron, he's such a great man! When in June are you going? We'll be moving down there on the 20-ish.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

BTW Lydia, I'd vote for a City Park picnic. It's always one of the highlights of our visits! We stop by the Rouses on Carrollton to get a picnic lunch and a couple of loaves of bread for the wildlife.

Our two favorite picnic places are right behind the museum and at the Peristyle, but make sure you check out the oaks as well!

The Peristyle is more romantic/peaceful and it's special to us since we were married there, but the picnic tables by the water behind the museum are so much fun! We usually see the gondola docked across the lagoon and the ducks make our picnic a party! If we're lucky the City Park rooster will make an appearance as well...not sure why this is so hilarious to me, but I laugh every time I see him pop out of the bushes to grab some bread!

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

We'll miss you this trip Rodent, since we're coming May 31-June 7 :(

But we plan to come back in October, and I sooo can't wait to finally meet you and Mr. Rodent! I'm excited FOR you about making the move to New Orleans and I look forward to your posts about apartment hunting in the Bywater...I've already told Chuck I'll be taking notes, LOL!

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Random Questions: Pirates, tortoises, picnics, Algiers, etc.

Pirate Festivals.com lists the NOLA Pirate meeting as March 29-April 7...on April6 the pirates are doing a fundraiser in Houma during the day, so many will be there for that. Pirate week is always fun....the parade, though not large, shows off lots of really interesting costumes and there is usually a "wench" auction at some point. Funky Pirate in the 700 block of Bourbon will be packed! You might check piratefestivals.com for more info.

I love the Algiers Festival...small, but lots of good music and food. If you want to look at property there, then certainly attend that festival.

It is fine/safe to walk in Treme in the daytime. If you want to see anything in particular, then you might look up those addresses/history before you go. If you feel uncomfortable, then a tour will be in order.

Yes, go to Lafayette Sq. to see Kermit/Irwin, if you get in town in time. As someone mentioned, one can picnic there, but you buy food/drink from the various vendors, not take your own...take a towel or blanket or just stand and listen.

I would start my tour of the Bayou at Houma ...just @ an hour outside of New Orleans...and go from there.