We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frenchmen Street

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bridgeport...
1 post
Save Topic
Frenchmen Street

I'm looking to visit NOLA, hopefully in March. I think I'm more interested in visiting the clubs on Frenchmen Street than Bourbon Street, Can anyone recommend hotels that are walkable to that area?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frenchmen Street

All the French Quarter hotels are walkable to there unless there is a disabliltiy or walking restriction...the FQ is 'short blocks' but you might want to have a central hotel like the Place D'armes, bourbon orleans, st. marie or to be closer to Frenchmen...LeRichelieu or the Provincial.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frenchmen Street

Although Frenchmen St. is a musical gem, visiting there to the complete exclusion of other musical and non-musical venues would be, in my opinion, a mistake. You might want to stay in a hotel between Frenchmen St. and the core of Bourbon St., like Bourbon Orleans, Place d'Armes, Hotel Provincial or Hotel Villa Convento. Le Richelieu Hotel is located in the French Quarter and very close to the Frenchmen St. entertainment area.

The Frenchmen St. entertainment area is located adjacent to the French Quarter in an area called Faubourg Marigny. Faubourg Marigny has a number of guest houses, inns and b&bs, some very close to the Frenchmen St. entertainment area, see:

http://www.bbnola.com/.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frenchmen Street

We have stayed at the Hotel Provencial and Place d'Arms on our last 2 visits to New Orleans and found them both very convineintly located for visiting Frenchman St.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frenchmen Street

It's an easy walk to Frenchmen from the Place d'Armes, just follow Chartres across Esplanade to Frenchmen. 10 to 15 minutes at the most. Kind of dark, but fairly well traveled.

For the first time ever, I recently walked Decatur to Frenchmen, and what a surprise. Where Chartres is mostly residential, Decatur is mostly businesses, and brighter. But the intersection of Decatur, Esplanade, and Frenchmen is a surprising and great intersection. There are a couple of music venues, BMC and Checkpoint Charlies. I can't really describe it, but I find that intersection fascinating.

I agree with Loophole, Bourbon has some great music venues well worth visiting.

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frenchmen Street

I totally agree with Kjosker and Loopwhole...there are worthwhile music venues everywhere in/around New Orleans and many of the clubs on Bourbon St. are among those. There is excellent Blues, jazz, Cajun, Zydeco and rock on Bourbon, if you know where/when to go. Since Frenchmen and Bourbon will be within walking distance, why not try it all?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frenchmen Street

Ditto to everything said. Stay in the Quarter and enjoy all of the Quarter and the Marigny.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frenchmen Street

Agree with everything said so far!

Also, kjosker makes a good point about walking along Decatur to Frenchmen. That Decatur/ Esplanade/Frenchmen is great and we always stop into BMC. Also, along the way, we sometimes stop into some of the dive bars like Aunt Tiki's and the Abbey.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frenchmen Street

Absolutely agree with all the recommendations above – but if you do decide to stay on Frenchmen st , I would recommend The Frenchmen hotel.

We stayed there twice, loved it. And it is right there , you will reach the jazz clubs within minutes of walk.

But once again, if you love jazz, you have to check some lounges/clubs on Bourbon.

Some might be quite expensive - no cover per se, but the drinks are pricey, such as Irvin Mayfield’s playhouse in Royal Sonesta, or Davenport lounge ( not on Bourbon, actually) – but some not: if you like Dixieland-style jazz, you should definitely check out Fritzel’s pub on Bourbon which will be a very short distance from any hotel on Frenchmen.

It is a great club, very cozy ( though might feel crammed at moments)

Edited: 07 February 2013, 16:13
9. Re: Frenchmen Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:17