We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

I'm using the Roman numerals as an homage to the Super Bowl which is giving the city an electric vibe, not to mention all the good looking men in suits all over the city. We watched The Talk broadcast live from Jackson Square and Connie Chung went right by me. But let me start at the beginning.....

I had made a 9 AM reservation on Open Table before I left home. I wanted to make sure I got here! I was glad I did! On the walk there from Harrah's we saw a crowd and buses in front of the Marriott. People were waiting to get a glimpse of the 49's going to practice. The side walk was blocked and we had to walk into the street to get around the buses. Cops, on foot and on motorcycles were all over. Finally arrived at Red Gravy and were seated promptly. Jill was our waitress, I don't think that's her real name, but she is so cute and nice I understand she has to protect herself. I ordered the polpetta with meatballs, ricotta cheese, and red gravy and youu were right. It was delicious! Best meatballs I ever had and I told Roseann when she had time to come out and chat. I also had the biscuit with peach jam which melted in your mouth. My friend had the Down the Shore Omelet, which she loved as well. There was also a special with cranberry bread, so we just had the bread to go. The food was just so fresh and delicious. I wish I could get a breakfast like that here in PA. The place was full but we lingered enjoying our food. The bathroom was very clean with a vanilla candle, I believe, and gave it a lovely scent.

Today we were going on a city tour with Southern Style Tours. I believe it was with a Living Social deal. It was $20 for us instead of $40. At first I did not like our guide. He was hyper, drove fast, and made fun of the foreign tourists on board. They took it as just him joking around, but to me it was annoying. He did redeem himself when he took as through the Musician's Village in Treme. We stopped the mini bus and we met Smokey Johnson, a former drummer for Fat's Domino and some other musicians just hanging out. I bought two CDs and walked into a museum that one of the men was trying to start there. He had some great stuff. This detour was the best part of the tour!

Tonight dinner was at Muriels on Jackson Square. I had my best drink of the trip, the Fleur de Lis! So good, I couldn't stop at one and neither could my friend. The waiters were great and guided us to some great choices. I just know it was some kind of fish and a great dessert. Let the waiters pick your food, they know what they're doing!

The bar area in the back looked nice and next time I come here, I may hit it up for some Fleur de Lis.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,953 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Southern Style Tours
Southern Style Tours
698 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Treme Hotel
The Treme Hotel
143 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Fleur De Lis
Cafe Fleur De Lis
981 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
705 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

You made a reservation for b'fast at Red Gravy? Is this usual, or just because it was around Super Bowl? We're going mid-week, end of April and want to have b'fast there also; should we make reservations?

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

I've never had a fleur de lis at Muriel's! :-o That's something that needs to change in May. Your mentions of Muriel's and Red Gravy make me soooo wish May was now!!!

Thank you for your trip reports, please keep them coming. :)

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

I use Open Table since it earns you rewards after you make several reservations with them.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Ac--What is in the Fleur De Lis drink? Sounds interesting enough for me to try too!

Isn't that polpetta omlett one of the best things you ate in Nola? Red Gravy food is to die for! Did you get to try Vera's fried chicken???? THAT is another reason to go back!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Fleur De Lis
Cafe Fleur De Lis
981 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,347 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Deny, yes it was to die for! No time to get back for a dinner, I tried.

FDL is Stoli Razberi, Chambord, Fruit juice and sparkling wine for $9

Believe me, I have plenty of reasons to go back!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Glad you had a good meal at Muriel's ACGambler. Loving your trip reports. How about this little biscuits at GW Finns? Yummm.

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Sue: glad you enjoyed the Fleur de Lis. When we went to Muriel's bar, I just asked the bartender to make me his favorite drink and that's what he came up with. I was hooked:). Also glad you enjoyed Red Gravy...no surprise there!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Fleur De Lis
Cafe Fleur De Lis
981 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Ok, this Fleur de Lis drink is now on the "to do" list.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Fleur De Lis
Cafe Fleur De Lis
981 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

Although we did a tour through Muriels we have never eaten there and I just made reservations for next Sunday! Finally !!!! I think a Fleur de Lis will be on the list as well.

Red Gravy will be on our list as well.....I keep trying to get fried chicken but it is usually gone by the time we finally get there...maybe this trip that will change as well.

Loving your trip reports , thanks AC

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Fleur De Lis
Cafe Fleur De Lis
981 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
779 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
10. Re: Day V Red Gravy, Muriels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:16