We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Park

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
City Park

Hello all,

How long does the Canal St steetcar take to get to City Park? Is the route at all scenic (i.e. worth it)? Are there cabs around the park for the return trip back?

Thanks,

Caryn

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Park

Looks like about 37 minutes to me:

norta.com/Maps_Schedules/…

Multiple routes run on the Canal Street line, so be sure the streetcar is marked "City Park" on the sign on the front.

If you miss the streetcar on the way back, the Jackson-Esplanade bus will alos get you back to the French Quarter area.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Park

The 91 Jackson/Esplanade bus is faster than the streetcar and Esplanade is quite pretty. Still, I'd take the streetcar as it passes through commercial and residential parts of Canal and Carrollton avenues alike. It's not as scenic as Esplanade but is still nice overall. And the park is so worth it.

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: City Park

Thank you! So maybe it makes sense to take the streetcar there one way and the bus back?

Also, I read that there can be a long wait for the streetcar. Is that still true?

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Park

Yes, the streetcar there and the bus back would be a nice trip. Depends on what you consider a long wait....the schedule link that whatsup sent should give you an idea ...no big hurry, you're in New Orleans!

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: City Park

Thanks! The only reason I'm concerned about the wait is because we'll have our 3-year-old with us, and she might get a little antsy!

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Park

Lots of things for a 3 year old to look at while waiting for the streetcar or bus...you can even take a "mini" walk in the area(s) while waiting as you keep an eye out for the car/bus. .

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Park

I suspect that there are taxis hanging around City Park, near the food pavilion, for instance. If not, it won't take them long to get there. Program a taxi phone number into your cellphone and I suspect they'll be there in just a few minutes.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City Park

One thing about calling a Taxi (at least United) - know the street address (street name and number) before you call. I was once told "We don't do corners" and hung up on and when taking it from City Park and giving a bus stop right by the end stop of the streetcar as my location, I waited for 45 minutes, after which the streetcar came (it was evening, when they don't come too often) and I gave up on the cab. Ever since I learned to always give them street address, I haven't had problems. On my phone now or I'd check the address for City Park, but it should be easy to find.

City Park is awesome, enjoy! :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City Park

If you have an iPhone, download the apps for Taxi Magic (Carriage Cab) or Nawlins Cab. GPS figures out where you are and orders the cab for you. I used it last night with Nawlins and it was 100% effective.

By the way, Nawlins Cab is my new fave despite their lack of numbers. They only have 30 cars or so but all are new minivans or Priuses. Clean cars with "Disney service."

10. Re: City Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:17