We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

Hello TA! I'm planning our annual Mom & Daughters trip & my question is which restaurant would would best suit our needs. Is the Coops CAJUN fried chicken TOO SPICY for people whom can sadly only handle a little spice? My Mom is from the south & I thought she would enjoy Fried Chicken since she enjoyed it so much in Savannah. I'm also planning on taking a cab to THE JOINT for BBQ during our October trip. PS If the Fried Chicken is all about the same, please refer me to the friendliest place!! Many more questions to come as the trip date gets closer. THANK YOU!!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

Well certainly not Praline Connection for either the chicken or friendly service; although I'm sure some will say otherwise. In the French Quarter, I'm a fan of Fiorella's, although their health scores are not good, I've never had a problem with the place. Willie Mays Scotch House is reputed to have some of the best, if not THE best friend chicken in New Orleans. I haven't tried it. I can speak very highly of the fried chicken at Lil Dizzy's at the corner of Esplanade and N. Robertson in the Treme. It's also excellent at Dooky Chase. Great service at either place and both places have an excellent buffet. Dizzy's is more diner atmosphere, while Dooky has more upscale decor.

Another place I haven't tried that's supposed to have great fried chicken is McHardy's at 1458 N.Broad St. They're takeout only.

I can't answer your question about Coop's.

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

Try Coops, some people love it, others not so much. It's loud, the staff can be snarky and the place does not look quite clean but the fried chicken is amazing!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index.php…

Give this a try..I consider it very accurate.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

I really enjoyed the Coops fried chicken, among the best I've ever had. But it so much depends on who's cooking, serving, and supervising the place during the time of your visit. Service can range from good to downright rude (and not funny rude), and food from very very good to downright mediocre.

NJ
Level Contributor
240 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

I had Coops, and it was good, just not as good as I was expecting by the way people rave over it. It was good though, and there are a number of items on their menu I enjoyed.

Red Gravy actually had some excellent fried chicken, well worth trying.

TFK

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

@ Soulcat "Well certainly not Praline Connection for either the chicken or friendly service; although I'm sure some will say otherwise. "

Sorry, but I will say otherwise. They have some of the best fried chicken I've ever had, the latest being in Dec. and we've always been treated well there.

For chicken and a big, bad 'tude, Coops is your place. Definitely NOT mine.

And you can't ever go wrong with the fried chicken and waffles at VeraBlue's Red Gravy.

YUM! AND it's also THE friendliest place.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 18:04
AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

I wouldn't take my mother to Coop's...I respect her and myself too much to put up with their pitiful behavior. I do not find them to be amusing, funny or even decent.

Any of the other suggested places would be great.... and fried chicken is like gumbo...different places for different folks, but all good!

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

As I said some people love it...others not so much but there is always a line out the door.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

Willie Mae's Scotch House. But get there early, because lots of locals eat there, too.

Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coops or Praline Connection for fried chicken?

None of these seem to be in the French. Is there one near Conti Street (Hotel Le Marai)?