We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Going to be in NOLA for a couple of days before a cruise (not Carnival) with some newbies. Want to have a nice dinner at someplace I have not tried before. Narrowed it down to Mr.Bs Bistro but after reading a recent trip report thinking about GW Fins. I value your opinion. Thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

GW Fins has service equivalent to Mr. B's Bistro, but GW Fins is renowned for a menu that is made daily based on the fresh fish and seafood flown in that day. Mr. B's Bistro will have the old dark wood and traditional french bread at your table, and a slightly more varied menu, with some chicken and steak on the menu, too. GW Fins, is a bit more modern in its appearance, and comes across as very chic to me. The seafood is outstanding at GW Fins due to their choice selection and daily purchase of it. Mr. B's is known for it's BBQ Shrimp, which is divine, too!

I don't know if this helps, but I did my best to point out the differences.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

I like both, a lot. GW Fins is maybe the best general seafood restaurant anywhere, but it is not paticularly "NewOrleanish". Mr. B's is very NewOrleanish. Both are very nice without being stuffy.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Mr. B's has lots of fans but I never got it myself. Food is ok, but it has always felt to me like a dated old place where the staff has little excitement about the art of cooking and service. Too much of a ride on the one signature dish.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Enjoyed the food and service at both, but for me Mr. B's has the edge for New Orleans style and atmosphere as well as entrees and specialties. While you can get great seafood anywhere they offer truly fresh, as in daily catch. we go to NOLA specifically for what makes it unique- ie. the food. The decor is as Loop and lasfloras describe it- and at GW it is pretty generic and lacking anything that sets it apart screaming NOLA. If you are in it for the food and service- try to to eat at both, if you want New Orleans, get the gumbo ya ya, BB Que shrimp, and some bread pudding at Mr. B's. JMHO

Edited: 15 February 2013, 04:13
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

eatingwithziggy.com/2012/…

Need I say more?

Ok, I'll say more anyway. The only dish in the world that made us go for seconds. And we love to travel and LOVE to eat well when we travel. It is a rich and messy finger licking goooodness.

GW Fins is nice no doubt and one of the most unique fresh seafood menus Ive seen but the most memorable item we ate there was surprisingly the Bread Pudding which we liked over Mr B's and just about everyone else. Nice lobster dumplings as well. But I'd go for the messy goodness.

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Mr. B's for my vote.

Florida
Level Contributor
634 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Another vote for Mr. B's. We've never been disappointed.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Tough choice but I have to go with traditional NO...Mr. B's....they do not have just one signature dish...they are excellent with gumbo yaya, bbq shrimp, fantastic crab cake (when in season), wood grilled fish, and a great bread pudding..excellent service, super good french bread loaves.....GW Fins changes daily but has the best seafood although not usually prepared in NO styling etc...really good lobster dumplings are always on the menu for an appetizer.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

I knew I could count on my fellow NOLA fanatics to steer me in the right direction. Thank you guys.

New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mr.Bs or GW Fins

Mr. B's. The best BBQ shrimp in NOLA. Everybody does it but they do it the best!