We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dancing in New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
dancing in New Orleans

My husband and I like to dance. We enjoy swing dancing and also like the standards similar to those done by Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr. etc. We are going to New Orleans for the first time this spring. Can you suggest some place we can go to dance?

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dancing in New Orleans

People often swing dance at the music clubs on Frenchmen St, placed lke Spotted Cat and dba. They can get crowded though so there is more room for dancing early and Sunday-Thursday than there is on Friday and Saturday nights.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dancing in New Orleans

The style is a little different, but you might enjoy the Zydeco dancing Thursday night at the Rock N'Bowl in Mid City. Also Mulate's on Julia Street offers Cajun dancing every night.

Some of the reviews for the Palm Court Jazz Cafe also mention dancing. It's in the French Quarter on Decatur St.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dancing in New Orleans

There are lots of Swing Dance programs at the WWII Museum's Stage Door Canteen:

nationalww2museum.org/stage-door-canteen/let…

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Keep your eye out for Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns. A popular swing/Lindy Hop band. They usually play several gigs a week.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 21:51
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Thanks for that info and the link, Tamara.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Wed. is swing dance night at Rock n Bowl.

Jeremy Davenport plays at the Davenport Lounge on the weekends at the Ritz (on the border of the Quarter)...lots of standards and very dancable music. Very nice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Thank you all for your replies. I will research these performers and venues. It sounds like a great time. I can't wait.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Check out:

www.dancequarter.com for swing dance parties and such. You can take the streetcar there from downtown.

Wed is swing night at RocknBowl but not as crowded nor nearly as exciting as the Zydeco crowd there on Thursday nights. The dance floor is a dream come true. I dance swing, salsa and zydeco and I can seriously vouch for this dance floor!

Sundays at DBA at 6pm is the Palmetto Bug Stompers and lots of dancers show up there. The floor is small, but the crowd is fun. DBA is in the Marigny on Frenchmen St.

When are you coming? If you are here in March, then google "Nickel-a-Dance" and go to that on a Sunday - phenomenal music, very friendly crowd and dancing during the daytime to live bands.

Feel free to pm me for more details.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dancing in New Orleans

Hi Lasfloras,

It sounds like you love to dance. We do swing, salsa and some ballroom, but I'm afraid I would need lessons to attempt Zydeco. It looks fast and confusing. Thanks for your help, and I will contact you if I have any more questions.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dancing in New Orleans

I want to thank every who answered my post about dancing in New Orleans. We spent an evening on Frenchman Street as well as some of the other spots. Had a great time.