We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
springfield,lLa.
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What are the must see & eat places in NO?

My sister , nephew & wife are coming to visit (Springfield) What are a few of the must see things in and around N.O.?

Andover, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Do your research on here. I personally say Mr. B's Bistro, Muriel's and Emeril's NOLA are my favorite restaurants.

Just walking the French Quarter, streetcar to Garden District, cemetery tours, swamp or plantation tours. We liked Destrehan Plantation.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-Peruse the art galleries on Royal Street.

-The World War Two Museum

-At nite, either watch or participate in the spirit of bacchanalia on Bourbon Street.

-As an alternative at nite, walk over to Frenchman Street to the jazz clubs.

-EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT at many of the dozens of superb dining establishments in the Quarter.

-SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP in everything from "touristy" shops to high-end places.

-DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK if that is your wont.  Lots of places and lots of different drinks.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-If you are active, take a bike tour or a kayak tour on St John Bayou.

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.  Be sure to ask more questions as you firm up your itinerary.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

It is difficult to rcommend restaurants without a better idea of your preferences. Take your time to go through this list and you will find many that you like. If you have further questions, let us know or check the reviews.

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/fqrestaur…

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Read the top questions on the right hand side of this page. Then order/download the Visitor's Guide from the site whatssup gave you. Lots of info on things to do, maps, restaurants, hotels, calendar of events, coupons, short s about different neighborhoods, music, etc. That will get you started.

springfield,lLa.
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Thanks. Lots of information.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Cafe DuMonde for cafe' au lait and beignets, can usually watch street performers from here.

Ride the St Charles Ave Streetcar through the Garden District.

Visit Bourbon Street for a drink.

Shop in the Flea Market end of the French Market for your Souvies.

Stroll the Riverwalk and visit Jackson Square.

These are my absolute Must Do's if I bring a friend to the French Quarter for the first time.

Personally, I'd add Drago's for charbroiled shrimp, or Jacques-Imo's for alligator cheesecake as well.

casper wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

I know that this one never gets mentioned but have to say I love the food at Angeli on Decatur . I make it a point to stop in for a sandwich everytime I am in New Orleans.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Princess, I'm with you, Angeli on Decatur (Mediterranean [Greek/Italian]) is one of our odd or late hours relatively quick and casual favorites, although some on this Forum question its kitchen hygiene.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
537 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

Here are some suggestions:

*If you are in NOLA on a Thursday night, book a bowling lane at Midcity Lanes for Rock 'n Bowl, featuring dancing to a live zydeco band and pretty good food; the owners also own a good restaurant Ye Olde College Inn right in front of Midcity Lanes.

*Have some regional foods like gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, etoufee, po' boy sandwiches, crawfish boil, beignets, and bread pudding.

*Go to one (or both) great ice cream shops - Angelo Brocato is a historic gelato shop with Italian pastries like fig cookies, cannoli, almond horns, and Baked Alaska while Creole Creamery has lots of imaginative seasonal flavors like Satsuma Orange, Butterscotch Caramel, Steen Molasses Oatmeal Cookie, Lavender, and others that you can have in 4- and 6-scoop samplers.

*Get some great pecan brittle and other handmade candies at Leah's Pralines.

*Do check out the many music clubs on Frenchmen Street for blues, jazz, folk, funk, world, rock playing at various venues; many of the clubs have no cover charge and you can hear the music from outside the clubs so if you like what you hear, go in enjoy it.

*If you discover some music that you can't live without, chances are Louisiana Music Factory will have it (and there is a downloadable discount coupon at http://www.neworleansonlin.com).

*I like going to the New Orleans Museum of Art which has a nice collection including a number of Fabrege Eggs and on Wednesdays free admission.

*Check out the world class attractions Audobon Zoo and the Aquarium of the Americas.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 08:20
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the must see & eat places in NO?

I used to love Angeli until I got the long hair in my burger. That was it for me. Good food (Mediterranean burger is great!) but I would have to be one that questions the hygiene in the kitchen! Still, it does seem to meet the minimum standards set forth by the city/state so it can't be all bad.