We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

I was so excited to head to New Orleans! Ive been wanting to go for many years. We decided to go after Mardi Gras, nothing crazy for me. I went with my friend and wanted to be safe, centrally located and within walking distance to good food.

We checked into the Hotel Monteleone, a hotel with lots of history including a haunted 14th floor where we happened to stay. This old hotel is very upscale and elegant. Everything about it is beautiful from the crown moulding to the sparkling chandeliers to the hotel restaurant. The rooms are small but nicely appointed, bathrooms are tiny but offer everything you need including the nicest hotel towels I’ve ever used!

Dinner the first night was at a place called Jimmy Js Cafe, a tiny hole in the wall kind of place (I ate an amazing frittata with vegetables). After a quick cocktail in the Carousel Bar at the hotel, we strolled over to Bourbon Street which reminded me a little of Times Square in NYC.

Bars and restaurants clutter the narrow street, beads from Mardi Gras hung on iron balconies, people are yelling everywhere, music is playing. My friend and I had oysters at an oyster bar followed by the obligatory Hurricanes at Pat O’Briens. I was so tired after having been up since four a.m. and fell into bed when we finally got back to our hotel.

After a bowl of oatmeal at the hotel, we were picked up by Cajun Encounters, for a City and Post-Hurricane Katrina tour. We spent a lot of time at one of the many cemeteries, drove through the areas that were affected by Katrina, a quick stop at City Park for bathroom breaks and beignets then were dropped off.

I was interested in checking out the Insectarium, a neat little place to study bugs. I look at every place as somewhere to take interesting photos and I think I got some good ones.

Dinner was at the Roosevelt Hotel where drinks are half price during happy hour and so are the pizzas. Domenica was one of my favorite places during this whole trip. The pizza was out of this world. Service was top notch! We finished off the evening with a cocktail at the Court of Two Sisters on Bourbon Street.

I was anxious to see the Garden District so we booked a Free Tour by Foot but of course first – breakfast! We ate a quick breakfast at The Old Coffeepot where our waitress seemed rather unmotivated and slow and it was kind of funny to watch our breakfast sitting at the counter while she ignored it. I had scrambled eggs and LOTS of coffee to wake up.

Instead of taking the super convenient and cheap street car, we opted to take a taxi- a ten dollar fare to the Garden District. We met our tour guide Sarah, along with about twenty other people on the tour. This one began at a cemetery which was smaller than the first one and Sarah really brought history to life!

We strolled around the Garden District which I LOVED. So many beautiful old homes with lots of history. The trees reach over the streets forming a tunnel and its breathtaking.

Our tour culminated by the restaurant, The Commanders Palace and we decided to eat there. This is a top rated restaurant, very elegant with excellent service. We split a lunch which consisted of gumbo, pork tenderloin and bread pudding. The big draw is the twenty-five cent martinis. There’s a three martini maximum so no worries of becoming sloppy drunk! The meal was so delicious and unforgettable.

After lunch, we took a long walk and decided to ride the street car back to our hotel. Warning- the street car might only be $1.25 but the frequent stops made the trip pretty long.

Dinner was at a loud, casual and fun place called the French Market. I ate Cajun crab cakes and drank a beer, my friend had the craw fish. You just have to try craw fish when you’re in New Orleans, right? They are a lot of work to get out of that shell but delicious if you are into sea food. Another evening of walking around, not so much on Bourbon Street but all around Jackson Square.

Exhausted, we went back to the hotel for a cocktail at the Carousel Bar and to listen to live jazz music. The next day, our last in New Orleans, was supposed to be torrential downpours with hail and thunder so we didn’t plan for anything. Surprisingly, the day was clear but a little warm and humid with slight wind.

We ate breakfast at Surrey’s Juice Bar,a really cool place, a funky and artsy vibe, down in the Garden District. After a stroll through the French Marketplace (lots of souvenirs and tee shirts, jewelry- type things) we stopped at the Cafe Du Monde to eat the beignets. I never eat fried foods but had to make an exception this time! The wind was beginning to pick up and I kept thinking it was going to pour at any moment but it never did.

The rest of the day was spent taking photos, more at Jackson Square, shopping at the little stores around Bourbon Street and checking out the art at the galleries in the area. I wish we had taken the time to do a plantation tour or a tour of the area of town called Treme, but with the threatening rain, we didnt want to take a chance of being caught in a downpour! Our last dinner was at the Palace Cafe, again amazing food and excellent service!

No cocktails or jazz music- it was time to pack and get ready to be up at four a.m. As always, I wished for another day or two because I just was not ready to leave and head back to reality!

I have a few photos up here that you can look at:

hellodollface.com/2013/…

Thanks to everyone who posted reviews on New Orleans, the entire trip was planned from recommendations on Trip Advisor!

Cindy

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Isn't the Carousel Bar just amazing? I loved spinning around and drinking. Sounds like you had a good time and made the most of your trip! Glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself. Your pictures were very nice--especially the butterfly! Did he land that close to you? Thanks for the report!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Very nice trip report, I'm putting the Carousel Bar on my list for October.

Alabama
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Thank you for the great trip report! We go every 6 months(April and October) and I never get tired of going or reading trip reports on TA:)

Edited: 27 February 2013, 02:03
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Thanks for the great trip report! I have never spent much time in the Garden District but I will have to put that on my list as well.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Good report...domenica,surrey,palace cafe,etc....you hit a lot of good spots...crawfish eating is an art...its a social event alo.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Good report...domenica,surrey,palace cafe,etc....you hit a lot of good spots...crawfish eating is an art...its a social event alo.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

I enjoyed your report...and will check out your link eventually, when I have real time to enjoy it (not when I'm rushing to catch up on my NOLA reading before I go to work!)

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Great Report!! Thanks for writing!

Newington...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone on our first trip and discovered Jimmy J"s Cafe, which we still talk about! Great trip report.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: New Orleans for the first time

Glad your 1st trip didn't disappoint. Txs for sharing. We loooooooove trip reports!